Odyssey and Harmony PE Cruises 12/30 and 12/31 - YIKES Travel

We left Fort Myers yesterday to fly back to Milwaukee (the 27th).  Our SW flight was cancelled as well, but not till we were already at the airport.  It was for lack of flight attendants. The pilot and co pilot were on board.  We ended up flying a non stop on United back to Chicago O'Hare, renting a car there, and driving back to the Milwaukee airport so we could pick up our vehicle.  That flight sold out in a hurry so was glad we were able to get on it. 

It was pretty expensive but we have travel insurance that covers expenses for cancelled flights so I guess we'll see if we get reimbursed.  After all of that we were able to get home around 8:30 last night vs 3 pm when we should have been.  

Next SW flights available were not until Sunday, I had to get back for work. 

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

It would be more tolerable if SW truly was budget but it is costing me close to $300 to get home on SW for a 3 hr flight after my cruise. The only thing budget about SW is how they run the airline.

I agree, we pay just as much on American, United or Delta.  We choose SW because of the free bags.  It cost me 160 for 4 bags on United for a last minute flight yesterday.  I had taken a bunch of stuff down to my kids in FL because we were on SW, but had to get our stuff back home.   

• Like 2

I think I already know the answer, but I will ask anyway: if flights getting cancelled keep anyone from reaching their cruise port, will they get a refund for their cruise or only if they have the supplemental insurance? That would be a tough pill to swallow.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BLiles1961 said:

I think I already know the answer, but I will ask anyway: if flights getting cancelled keep anyone from reaching their cruise port, will they get a refund for their cruise or only if they have the supplemental insurance? That would be a tough pill to swallow.

I believe you would have to have travel insurance.  Not the cruise line fault if flights get cancelled.  We don't ever travel anymore without travel insurance anymore.   Hopefully they will come through for us this time with the amount of $ we spent to get home yesterday.  First time we have had to file a claim because of flight cancellations. 

• Like 1

Thousands of Canadian tourist have been trying to leave Mexico since Christmas Eve, to get back to home on an airline called SunWing, the exact same issue that people here have with SWA. And those people are just as pissed off as those flying SWA.  And you can bet there are many in Canada that lost out on their vacation trying to get to Mexico.

As someone mentioned, it happened earlier this year with other major airlines, and SWA was still flying and they didn't have the same issues.  It's not the first time and won't be the last.  

The week before Christmas many were complaining about British Airways because of issues people had with them getting to their destination and or while their bags were still in London.  It surely doesn't matter if it's a low cost carrier or a airline like United, AA or Delta, BA or whatever, it can and will happen again.   

As for those on the upcoming cruise, those people had well enough time to plan ahead, to either drive, take Amtrak if you're on the east coast or book another airline. If they had the proper insurance to cancel for any reason, they could.  Otherwise, they loose out if they didn't rebook with another carrier, etc.   

19 hours ago, BLiles1961 said:

This is a top concern, but with the extreme level of cancellations, the insurers are going to go into the 'fine print' in the policies.

Here's an interesting article on this subject very recent.  What follows is on a summary point and then the applicable current insurable events language on a typical policy.

What Happens If I Miss My Cruise Due to a Flight Cancellation?

cruzely.com/what-happens-if-i-miss-my-cruise-due-to-a-flight-cancellation/

“Covered Events”:

“Common Carrier delays and/or cancellations resulting from adverse weather, mechanical breakdown of the aircraft, ship, boat or motor coach that you were scheduled to travel on, or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation”

"So if the weather causes a cancelation, you’re covered. If the plane breaks down, you are covered. However, in the specific case of Southwest Airlines, while a winter storm might have started the current issues, it then spread well beyond that. Many flights were canceled where there were no weather issues at all. Meanwhile, the canceled flights also weren’t due to mechanical issues or an organized labor strike."