Do not go on the yellowbird

clutch1130

I just want to help fellow cruisers. My wife and I along with 6 other friend just came home from an 8 day cruise on Jewel of the sea. In Nassau we all went on Yellowbird! DO NOT LET YOURSELF GET CAUGHT IN THIS TOURIST TRAP! What they do is pack people in on 3 decks and serve punch and play music for the ride to Pearl Island (About a 20 minute ride).

Once there the bar is closed and evrything must be bought on the island $6 for small punch and $7 for a burger an so on. For an hour and a half if you do anything it is extra. They have a real small beach that can barely hold the yellowbird people. Believe me if you are looking for a party boat this is not the one. I would say stick to the jolly roger rum boats..100% better. I DO NOT RECOMMEND Yellowbird and think it should be taken off the ships land excurtion list!:mad: Other than that the cruise was EXCELLENT! Thanks

I am surprised you had this experience. I have had a wonderful time on my Yellowbird cruises. They clearly state they take you to Perl Island and while things are expensive there no more so than the cruise ships. Besides after all that rum punch I could not even think about a drink there!

They also serve rum punch on the way back and have the band play. I remember it as being more than twenty minutes as well.

It's a three hour tour with an hour and half at Perl Island. that means you are cruising on the boat for an hour and a half total.

I just want to help fellow cruisers. My wife and I along with 6 other friend just came home from an 8 day cruise on Jewel of the sea. In Nassau we all went on Yellowbird! DO NOT LET YOURSELF GET CAUGHT IN THIS TOURIST TRAP! What they do is pack people in on 3 decks and serve punch and play music for the ride to Pearl Island (About a 20 minute ride).

Once there the bar is closed and evrything must be bought on the island $6 for small punch and $7 for a burger an so on. For an hour and a half if you do anything it is extra. They have a real small beach that can barely hold the yellowbird people. Believe me if you are looking for a party boat this is not the one. I would say stick to the jolly roger rum boats..100% better. I DO NOT RECOMMEND Yellowbird and think it should be taken off the ships land excurtion list!:mad: Other than that the cruise was EXCELLENT! Thanks

According to Carnival, the description clearly states;

"Stop at a private island to swim in the sea or relax on the beach. Note: Snorkel equipment is available for rent and the bar will be closed while the boat is docked at the island. Food and drinks are available for purchase on the island.

If you want a drunken party boat, the Booze Cruise would be the way to go. The Yellowbird services families as well as others for a destination tour. Prices aren't outta line for a vacation spot.

I'm sorry you didn't have a good time, Many others enjoy this trip every day.

Royal Caribbean did not write what Carnival wrote. Here is RCCL (and presumably Celebrity's as well since they are the same company) description of the Yellowbird Tour:

"eSee Nassau and the island of New Providence aboard the 85-foot catamaran Yellowbird. Sip a refreshing rum punch (they're unlimited) and listen to the music of a live island band as you cruise through the harbor between Nassau and Paradise Island. The highlight of the tour comes when Yellowbird arrives at a beautiful beach where you'll enjoy a refreshing swim in some of the bluest waters in the Caribbean. On the return trip, the Yellowbird becomes a party boat with dancing to island music, some calypso antics and a limbo demonstration and contest."e

catamaran Yellowbird. Sip a refreshing rum punch (they're unlimited) and listen to the music of a live island band as you cruise through the harbor between Nassau and Paradise Island. The highlight of the tour comes when Yellowbird arrives at a beautiful beach where you'll enjoy a refreshing swim in some of the bluest waters in the Caribbean. On the return trip, the Yellowbird becomes a party boat with dancing to island music, some calypso antics and a limbo demonstration and contest.

Scubagirl has posted this reply on another board on cruisecritic:

"My nephew is captain of the Yellowbird, so I wander onboard from time to time.. I have my own equipment, so I don't know the price, but I DO see the gear shack and signs for rental near the souvenier stand. You are only at the beach about 1 1/2 hours total."

Scubagirl has posted this reply on another board on cruisecritic:

"My nephew is captain of the Yellowbird, so I wander onboard from time to time.. I have my own equipment, so I don't know the price, but I DO see the gear shack and signs for rental near the souvenier stand. You are only at the beach about 1 1/2 hours total."

Yes, that's correct. It's a about a 3 hour tour. 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours on the beach, the rest on the boat to and from the island (30 minutes each way plus docking time). The boat provides refreshments while onboard (as well as a DJ and local band), once you're on the island, the island is host. Makes sense to me !

BTW, my nephew captains the boat, he doesn't own the tour company.

We did this tour with a group of 25 of Valentine's Day and had a blast. We paid a group rate of $25 pp. Youngest was 19 and most of us in our 40s.

The ship was pretty full, but had no problems getting drinks. We were on the ship early (around 12:30) and were able to get choice seats for the trip. You can purchase beers at the bar on the lower deck before sailing and once they set sail - unlimited rum punch, music and great scenery along the way.

As they sail they give you a historical cruise in a way as they point out all the interests and homes of famous people. It was very beautiful. My parents (early 60s) and another couple in early 70s came with us as well and had a great time. Nice to walk around Pearl Island and grab a cocktail - also able to get into a penned area with stingrays and a turtle if interested. Get back on the boat around 10 minutes before departure and you can also gain great seats/spots for the trip back. Music and bar is on the lowest level

This is something WE WOULD do again - sorry the OP had a bad time.

We did this tour with a group of 25 of Valentine's Day and had a blast. We paid a group rate of $25 pp. Youngest was 19 and most of us in our 40s.

The ship was pretty full, but had no problems getting drinks. We were on the ship early (around 12:30) and were able to get choice seats for the trip. You can purchase beers at the bar on the lower deck before sailing and once they set sail - unlimited rum punch, music and great scenery along the way.

As they sail they give you a historical cruise in a way as they point out all the interests and homes of famous people. It was very beautiful. My parents (early 60s) and another couple in early 70s came with us as well and had a great time. Nice to walk around Pearl Island and grab a cocktail - also able to get into a penned area with stingrays and a turtle if interested. Get back on the boat around 10 minutes before departure and you can also gain great seats/spots for the trip back. Music and bar is on the lowest level

This is something WE WOULD do again - sorry the OP had a bad time.

A party is what you make of it. I think some folks are disappointed that they don't get FREE drinks the whole trip. For $30.. I think this trip is a bargain.

As part of the group that did not enjoy the yellowbird tour, please note that it is not Yellowbird that is necessarily the problem. Royal Caribbean's description of the tour in their brochure is not at all accurate. I invite all to compare their description with that on the Carnival website. Carnival's is accurate. We were completely misled as to what to expect (and many traveled with little or no money or our own refreshments as we were not informed we'd have to pay for things).

My own personal opinion of Pearl Island is that it is little more than an unattractive rock barely larger than the boat you ride in on which we couldn't explore anyway because we kept getting shooed out of areas.

Caveat emptor! I for one will not be returning to Pearl Island. In fact, I won't be returning anywhere on Royal Caribbean lines because of their deception and because of the treatment we received when we complained to them. I cancelled my next cruise with them and booked with HOlland America.

Archived