No Passport, can't check-in/get docs?

jbrown111

I have just booked our first ever MSC cruise. We sail out of port canaveral next week. I have a passport but my guest's passport is expired, so she will be traveling with a Birth Certificate and ID. The online check-in does not allow us to check in since it asks for a passport number. I received another email today that they cant send us travel documents until we provide this info, which we obviously don't have. Im not sure what to do and Ive called their number a few times and they are not at all helpful. 

I am hoping someone else here has travelled with a birth certificate and ID and can inform us on what to do. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, jbrown111 said:

I have just booked our first ever MSC cruise. We sail out of port canaveral next week. I have a passport but my guest's passport is expired, so she will be traveling with a Birth Certificate and ID. The online check-in does not allow us to check in since it asks for a passport number. I received another email today that they cant send us travel documents until we provide this info, which we obviously don't have. Im not sure what to do and Ive called their number a few times and they are not at all helpful. 

I am hoping someone else here has travelled with a birth certificate and ID and can inform us on what to do. Thank you. 

Change the doc type to ID card and then put in Birth Certificate.

That should get you past the checks. You'll have to do a little extra at the port, but you should be able to get your docs. 

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

Change the doc type to ID card and then put in Birth Certificate.

That should get you past the checks. You'll have to do a little extra at the port, but you should be able to get your docs. 

I was wondering if I could do that, Thanks. Does it matter what date I put in? It asks for an expiration date which obviously doesn’t apply to birth certificate. Thank you. 

2 minutes ago, jbrown111 said:

I was wondering if I could do that, Thanks. Does it matter what date I put in? It asks for an expiration date which obviously doesn’t apply to birth certificate. Thank you. 

I sailed MSC once with a person who had a BC and just put in garbage for those fields (I think I made some far in the future date).

When you check in at the port, they'll take care of everything.

Side note, even if you don't get your papers before you reach the port, they will still check you in there, so no need to worry about getting on the ship 🙂

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, franncos said:

Try going in person at a Passport Office in person with your itinerary, you may be able to get your passport on the spot.

The OP has a passport. It's the person he's traveling with that doesn't.

Your advice is correct, and I would recommend traveling with a passport instead of BC, but it doesn't answer the OP's question which was how to enter BC info...

• Like 1