Portland, U.K. Private Tour Companies/Taxi Tour Companies

luv4tlc

We are looking for a tour (or possibly just a driver for the day) for six people when we visit Portland, UK this summer.  We are planning to see Jurassic Coast, Corfe, etc and want to move at our own pace.  Does anyone have experience with Weymouth Taxi or Portland Private Hire?  I could not find any reviews on Portland Private Hire, so I am hesitant and Weymouth Taxi had spotty reviews.  Dorset Tours are a bit pricey, especially since we are a party of six, not eight.  Any other suggestions welcome!

Thank you in advance!

We used Weyline Taxi Company. Had a great experience, although we had a driver, not a tour guide. She had a good bit of experience as a driver, but had never done a tour before. It was fascinating just chatting with her about her life, the area, the impact of Covid on her business and Dorset and Peppa Pig. I will also say that her car would have been tight for 4 people all day, let alone 6 or 8.

I don’t really know any other specifics, we were originally a group of 4 and this was a reservation our friends arranged, but then tested positive for Covid on the pre-boarding testing (this was this past May), so couldn’t go.

• 2 months later...
On 1/14/2023 at 4:48 PM, luv4tlc said:

We are looking for a tour (or possibly just a driver for the day) for six people when we visit Portland, UK this summer.  We are planning to see Jurassic Coast, Corfe, etc and want to move at our own pace.  Does anyone have experience with Weymouth Taxi or Portland Private Hire?  I could not find any reviews on Portland Private Hire, so I am hesitant and Weymouth Taxi had spotty reviews.  Dorset Tours are a bit pricey, especially since we are a party of six, not eight.  Any other suggestions welcome!

Thank you in advance!

Did you wind up using either? We are looking for a tour in August. Dorset T9urs requires 6 to run. We are 4.

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I wanted to clarify something that might be useful regarding our recent booking with Dorset Tours from Portland, UK, for this summer. It seems there's a bit of confusion about their private versus shared tours. For a private tour, the requirement isn't based on a minimum number of passengers; instead, you book the entire van, which accommodates up to 8 people. Naturally, it becomes more cost-effective as you add more people to the van. In contrast, their shared group tours, which combine passengers from the cruise ship, do require a minimum of 4-6 passengers to operate. From my conversation with Sally, it appears they consistently meet this minimum and get booked out pretty quick. I hope this clears up any misunderstandings!