Alaska in June, Infinity

ballclock

Hey there...this will be our first cruise and chose Atlantis to Alaska Jun 4. I was wondering what to expect as to entertainment on board, dress codes (tux or not to tux) and other activities that are offered on Atlantis? We already booked the helo ride to dogsled and the plane ride over the fjords. What should we pack as far as clothing goes? We are also getting to Vancouver the wed before and leaving for home 3 days after the cruise, just to get some sightseeing in. Thanx for any info you might be able to offer, Steve

You are going to have a great time!!!!

We were just on the Atlantis Navigator cruise a few weeks ago which was our 1st Atlantis cruise and had a ball. The Atlantis team were amazing and made us feel like we were the only passengers whenever we dealt with them. Considering there was 3200 passengers this was no small task.

The entertainment was great -- Charo was amazing. Matt Yee on the piano was great( he will probably be on your cruise). Shann Carr & Jim David were hysterical. They are regulars on Atlantis from what I have heard so will probably be on your cruise.

As far as clothes -- casual casual casual!!!!

While we like to get dressed up for dinner on vacation(and we did) most people kept a very casual attitude throughout the trip. This is something Atlantis encourages. But that being said you are on vacation if you want to wear a tux go ahead.

We were planning on Alaska last year in June and our travel agent talked us out of it as she said it is still pretty chilly there and coats would be needed at night on deck and we wanted someplace warm after a cold NJ winter.

Anyway you are going to love Atlantis -- I don't think we will be cruising with anyone else for quite awhile.

Hope this helps.

Michael & Don:)

Southeast Alaska is great, but you have to take it on its own terms, dress warm and prepare for rain. Typically in southeast Alaska in June the high is about 60 degrees and it rains a lot! Juneau and Sitka get about 3" for the month, and Ketchikan gets about 7", and this is probably the driest month of the year. I spent a week in southeast Alaska in June and only saw the sun one time! On the other hand the days are really long. I live in Arizona and wear shorts 300 days of the year, even on quite cool days, I never got them out the whole time I was in Alaska. I once saw a posting by a guy asking if it was warm enough to go shirtless at night, no my dear, it's not warm enough to go jacketless during the day.

You could always get lucky and have some clear days in which it would be incredible. Check out the zip cables. The helicopter ride and dogsleding sounds incredible!

P.S. I'll probably join you on the trip!

Excellent...thanks for the info, guess we'll leave the tux's at home, coat n tie it is for dinner. We're from south Florida so it will definately be jeans, sweaters and coats for the daytime, and the shorts will stay in the closet with the tux. What are the "zip cables"?

Hey guys:

I will be on the Alaksa sailing in June. This will be my 3rd Cruise with Atlantis but it will be the first to Alaska. My past cruises have been to hot and sunny Mexico. As stated by another post, the dress on Atlantis is casual. I have never taken a tux or a suit and tie on an Atlantis cruise. During dinner people generally wear slacks, khakis or jeans and a polo, botton down shirt or even t-shirts. You will see a varity, but rarely anything nicer than khakis and a botton down (at least on the cruises to sunny destinations). There will also be several theme parties to dress for or not. Many people bring loads of outfits/costumes, but not all. Some of the usuals include: White Party, Marti Gras, Dog tag, 70s and/or 80s. . things of that nature. So prepare to dress for those or not. Atlantis will send out the themes a week or two before the cruise (so not much time to prepare). Otherwise, it should be blast. I am looking forward to it. And i too will be in wearing jeans, long sleeves and a coat or fleece.

Frank (Southern boy here = Atlanta, Georgia)

• 2 weeks later...

My roommate and I will be taking the repositioning of the Infinity from San Francisco, where we live, to Vancouver. This is our first time with Atlantis, and have heard really good things. My favorite part of cruises is meeting people from all over the country, and the world for that matter. I am curious if anyone else will be going on the repositioning leg from San Fran to Vancouver before the Atlantis cruise? See you all soon!! Only nine weeks away!!!

Brian

My partner and I will also be taking the repositioning cruise from San Francisco for the Alaska trip. We took the Infinity trip last year when we got married in Vancouver and enjoyed it so much that we rebooked as soon as we got home.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ballclock!

We're going on the same cruise and from what I've been reading on Alaskan sites and on here, layering is the way to go. That and a nice fleece jacket. They are light, not bulky, and can keep a person pretty warm. I broke down and got a couple of North Face jackets for each of us. One that is completely water proof with a roll away hoodie that will protect from wind and rain great (tnf Resolve). The other one is tnf Denali fleece. Very light, but will keep a person really warm. It has pit zips in case you are too warm as well. I also bought some waterproof casual walking shoes. Between that and mostly casual wear that I can layer, I think Lauren and I are set.

Good luck and see you on the cruise I hope! :)

-Nancy & Lauren

Only about 8 weeks left, thanks for all the info. I think we are pretty well set for the clothing finally, I'm ready to start packing! I can't wait to get out from behind this desk. I found this really cool site about our ship on another post, almost like walking the deck, I think it'll come in handy too!

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Celebrity/infinity.htm

Archived