Birthday Dinner In Istanbul

Are you interested in a restaurant in the old part of Sultanahmet with traditional food and views of some of the monuments (e.g., Blue Mosque) from sidewalk dining?  Or a meal in a restaurant in one of the city's old cisterns?  Or a traditional fish dinner (very popular with locals but can be a bit loud with music and entertainment provided by local gypsy performers....)

These are some experiences I've had. If you want any details, let me know.

12 hours ago, Chad_O said:

Slightly off topic but I would love some recommendations for a lunch spot (ideally fish) near the Blue Mosque/Hippodrome area. Any insights are much appreciated. Regards, Chad

I don't know of a fish restaurant near there, but if you want fresh fish and a quick lunch, it doesn't get better (or more of an experience) than buying a fish sandwich off the fish boats/restaurants at Galata bridge (the bridge you have to cross to get from Sultanahmet -- where the Blue Mosque/Hippodrome/Haghia Sofia are -- to where the cruise port is.

The total fish caught at the Galata bridge in Istanbul is 64 tonnes/year - Infinitewalks Turkey

On 1/26/2023 at 11:29 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Are you interested in a restaurant in the old part of Sultanahmet with traditional food and views of some of the monuments (e.g., Blue Mosque) from sidewalk dining?  Or a meal in a restaurant in one of the city's old cisterns?  Or a traditional fish dinner (very popular with locals but can be a bit loud with music and entertainment provided by local gypsy performers....)

These are some experiences I've had. If you want any details, let me know.

I’m not sure? I was looking for something memorable since it’s a milestone birthday. I didn’t want to end up in a tourist trap. If you know what I mean. 😉 

The cisterns and the fish dinner sound interesting. 

13 minutes ago, Bodgy said:

I’m not sure? I was looking for something memorable since it’s a milestone birthday. I didn’t want to end up in a tourist trap. If you know what I mean. 😉 

The cisterns and the fish dinner sound interesting. 

Fining Dining in an ancient Cistern -- Sarnic restaurant:   https://www.timeout.com/istanbul/restaurants/sarnic-fine-dining-restaurant 

Kumkapi is the area where the traditional "fish houses" are. It's very atmospheric. Just south of the Grand Bazaar and a bit east of the Blue Mosque. It was traditionally an area where Armenian fishermen lived and worked. The Kumkapı district is centered on a small plaza where six streets meet. The plaza is surrounded by seafood restaurants, and restaurants line many of the streets radiating from it. It always seems to have a festive air with banners above the streets, fairy lights in the trees, etc. Fair warning it is more popular with locals than tourists and there are a few reports of tourists getting cheated on their bill, so you have to be open to it being a bit of an experience.

The snipped map below shows a few of the choices. I went there with a local guide from a previous visit who I'd kept in touch with. I believe the restaurant we went to was the Kumkapi Historical Restaurant. (Unfortunately my old laptop died a week ago and I haven't reloaded my photos onto new one yet....). But it might be a good idea to just do some online research to see which appeals to you.

image.thumb.png.bc6d0da2a3eeb19e5b4d3dd9f937d7af.png