Four ships in Port and we’re the last to arrive! Coki beach?

Beachedgirl

We’re arriving last with three other ships in port already.  It will be busy regardless of the beach we pick.   We usually go to Coki but we’re first to arrive.   I’m trying to determine what are the chances of being able to still get beach chairs.   We have 10 people.    The RC ship is scheduled to leave at 4.  I’m guessing most folks will leave around 2?   Has anyone been last in that can offer some advice.   I don’t think you can prebook or reserve chairs in advance. Or can you? 

I’m not sure what part of that was Sketchy ……:)    We’re on the Encore arriving there this week.  I’ve been to St Thomas over 20 times and have been to all the main beaches.   SH is difficult to get transportation back to the ship for this many people.   Coki ticks all the boxes and everyone is happy.  My question is if you’ve been in a similar situation with many large ships already docked hours before you and you arrived mid day at Coki beach were you able to rent loungers OR were they all taken?

8 hours ago, Beachedgirl said:

I’m not sure what part of that was Sketchy ……:)    We’re on the Encore arriving there this week.  I’ve been to St Thomas over 20 times and have been to all the main beaches.   SH is difficult to get transportation back to the ship for this many people.   Coki ticks all the boxes and everyone is happy.  My question is if you’ve been in a similar situation with many large ships already docked hours before you and you arrived mid day at Coki beach were you able to rent loungers OR were they all taken?

You asked if lounges would be available at Coki midday, without providing the arrival/departure times - and the sizes - of the ships in port that day…That info is somewhat pertinent…:)

Maybe there will be 10 loungers free at Coki, it’s just such a small beach that I’d be concerned arriving at that time if I am part of a group of 10…

If I was looking for a beach with available lounges for 10 people, I would have been calling AADivers at SH to see if they would hold 10 lounges for us because we know they do that. And a taxi can easily be called for pick-up at SH…If the answer was no for this larger group we’d make a bee line to Sapphire. 

Good luck, I’m sure you will make it work, and enjoy your cruise! 😄

I did just see that you are the last ship in port, I had missed that in your title, sorry. So yes that makes it hard to plan a beach day. No time left  to look at other options like day sails I see, but hopefully you can enjoy a nice beach day wherever you land!

The chairs at Coki are provided by different vendors so there's no central reservation desk. If you know the name of any vendors you might be able to contact them and reserve chairs.

But, I've never heard of them running out of chairs.

I googled and copied this result. I don't think they have a website.

"

Sun Seekers Beach Rentals

4.7(11)

Beach entertainment shop in the United States Virgin Islands

12+ Photos

Directions

Save

Address: 6464 #4 Coki Point Beach, St. Thomas, Virgin Islands 00802

Hours: 
    Closed ⋅ Opens 8 AM Mon

coki is my favorite beach there too. We both know how crowded it gets after the tours to the aquarium let out.  They generally only spend an hour there and gather on that side of the beach.  So facing the water, I would head to the left.  If you recall, there are more chairs than spots.. so worst case is getting chairs from two different vendors, which they are happy to do. Booking ahead was not something I found and am not sure how this works as the vendors are a bit territorial over their perceived spot on the beach.  So I say go for coki, and just know that around 1pm to 2pm it will be busy near the bathrooms where the snorkelers hang out.  The snorkelers usually don't rent chairs as well.

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.  We arrived at Coki as a group of 10 at 12:15.  It was crowded but we easily were able to get chairs (in the front row closest to the water) without issue.   It was a perfect day. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Beachedgirl said:

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.  We arrived at Coki as a group of 10 at 12:15.  It was crowded but we easily were able to get chairs (in the front row closest to the water) without issue.   It was a perfect day. 

good to know! We will be facing a similar situation of 4 ships in port. But luckily, we are the first to arrive at 7am. I'm think we may stop at Coki Beach first, and then head over to Coral World? Maybe if we do the stops in reverse order, it would be less crowded. I do wonder what time excursions are booked for Coral World on the thenother ships. Our ship had one that didn't depart until 1:30. We may also try to head over to Magens Bay after, if we have the energy. Just trying to plan what the best order may be.

On 2/6/2023 at 6:45 PM, Beachedgirl said:

Wanted to say a quick thank you for posting your final destination and outcome!  (Sometimes you're left hanging - what did they end up doing, how did it go?  No idea how I can get so invested in a post but there you go!)  Glad you had a great time!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2023 at 8:36 PM, AwesomO said:

good to know! We will be facing a similar situation of 4 ships in port. But luckily, we are the first to arrive at 7am. I'm think we may stop at Coki Beach first, and then head over to Coral World? Maybe if we do the stops in reverse order, it would be less crowded. I do wonder what time excursions are booked for Coral World on the thenother ships. Our ship had one that didn't depart until 1:30. We may also try to head over to Magens Bay after, if we have the energy. Just trying to plan what the best order may be.

Hi! Just wondering if you've finalized your plans? We are sailing on Oasis April 16 and are also thinking of snorkeling at Coki Beach first then doing Coral World. Our ship arrives at 7am. This is our first cruise and first time to St Thomas, so I don't love the idea of planning things on our own, but most of the ship's excursions are sold out.

We would also love to go see some of the nice views from higher elevations, but not sure if we could ask a taxi to do that for just five of us?

I would love any input or advice if you have it! Thanks! 

@murex we arrive in St. Thomas in 3 days. We are currently sailing on the Gem! What I've decided is that I will just do Coral World first (so we don't have to wear wet swimwear to Coral World), and then Coki beach after. If we feel Coki beach is too crowded, we will just try to taxi over to Magens bay. Being from NYC, I think we sometimes have a higher tolerance for crowds than others haha. But I've found that taxis in St. Thomas are very expensive when you're traveling as a family of 4, so I don't want to get too carried away. There are rates for a taxi tour (I dont have them off hand), so I'm sure a taxi driver could give you a little drive up to the more scenic elevations.