MS Fridtjof Nansen - 14/7 -29/7/23 Disco Bay, Greenland - Anyone have tips for Greenland travel?

miklinga

First, I would like to thank those who provided answers to the many MS Fram questions about our trip to Antarctica in November/December 2022.  We followed any threads on the General and Roll Call boards to gather information.  As noted, there is not a lot of activity on the Roll Call boards for Hurtigruten and as we are preparing for a second cruise with them in July 2023 we are hoping for any tips for a trip to Greenland.  I have posted on the roll call boards already and hope to get more information from the general Hurtigruten board for anyone's insight who have taken this cruise in the past.  

"We are Mike and Linda from Wedowee, Alabama, U.S. and have just booked this cruise on the MS Fridtjof Nansen.  It will be our second Hurtigruten Expedition cruise.  We have never been to Greenland and are looking forward to this new adventure! The Nansen may be twice the size of the Fram, but we are anxious to experience a new ship and meet our fellow travelers."

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Mike and Linda 

• 1 month later...

DISKO BAY!?

What wonderful news!

Because of Covid, we haven't been paying enough attention to some of the newer routes.

Last time I checked carefully, a while ago, in terms of "cruises" going that far north, it seemed to be local passenger ferry service, but not like the "ferries" that Hurtigruten has along the Norwegian coast.  We did a round trip on the Trollfjord several years ago, and that remains one of our favorite vacations.

Nope, the Greenland service we found a few years ago that went as far as Ilulissat and Disko Bay had bunk rooms (8 passengers per bunk room, IIRC) with bathroom down the hall, etc.  I think there were one or two private cabins (maybe?).

We were actually thinking about doing that anyway if we could get a "private cabin"!  That was more our style decades ago, when we were younger, but we really wanted to see the area.

And then... and then... Covid... 😡

Thanks so much for mentioning this so prominently!

GC

• Like 1