Breakaway: I need your best advice

Ranger28

8 minutes ago, MyAuntFanny said:

If I ever cruise out of New Orleans again,  I plan to arrive as late as possible to avoid the cluster that was embarkation.  We were in the line winding up and down a long hall way for more than 2 hours.  Arrived at 11 for a 12pm check in.  The check in times were pretty meaningless.  By the time we were getting through security the line was almost gone behind us.  Next time I would just plan to arrive around 2p and miss it all.  We still managed to get the dinner reservations we wanted, plus the 2 big shows.  The only thing we couldn't get were the comedy shows.

This is exactly what we decided to do, we’re gonna enjoy New Orleans a little longer and show up around 2:00. We already have our dining reservations so the only thing I’m worried about missing out on are the show reservations. But after hearing all these horror stories we’ve decided we’re willing to  show up early for the shows and hope hope to get in on the standby line. Has anyone had luck doing it that way? 

35 minutes ago, MyAuntFanny said:

If I ever cruise out of New Orleans again,  I plan to arrive as late as possible to avoid the cluster that was embarkation.  We were in the line winding up and down a long hall way for more than 2 hours.  Arrived at 11 for a 12pm check in.  The check in times were pretty meaningless.  By the time we were getting through security the line was almost gone behind us.  Next time I would just plan to arrive around 2p and miss it all.  We still managed to get the dinner reservations we wanted, plus the 2 big shows.  The only thing we couldn't get were the comedy shows.

Clairification:  You arrived at 1100. 

You stood in line for two hours, ie, till 1 PM.  

By 1 PM the security line was almost gone.

22 minutes ago, LincolnLog said:

This is exactly what we decided to do, we’re gonna enjoy New Orleans a little longer and show up around 2:00. We already have our dining reservations so the only thing I’m worried about missing out on are the show reservations. But after hearing all these horror stories we’ve decided we’re willing to  show up early for the shows and hope hope to get in on the standby line. Has anyone had luck doing it that way? 

A word of caution:

NCL FAQ.  (pretty sure you guys are aware of this but others might not be)

What time do I board the ship on embarkation day and in ports of call?

Arrival at the Cruise Terminal:
For your comfort and convenience, we recommend that guests who have not completed their Online Check-In arrive at the cruise terminal no later than two (2) hours prior to the scheduled embarkation time printed on your cruise documents. Guests who have completed their Online Check-In should arrive at the terminal no later than one (1) hour prior to the scheduled embarkation time printed on your cruise documents. We STRONGLY recommend guests complete their Online Check-In at least four (4) days prior to sailing.

Final Boarding Time:
In order to facilitate the embarkation process, the processing of your eDocs, and to comply with new government regulations governing departure manifest, all guests are required to complete check-in at the cruise terminal and be onboard the ship no later than one hour prior to the departure time noted on their cruise documents or they will not be permitted to sail. Please note that guests who have not filled out their Online Check-In must arrive at the port two (2) hours prior to sailing.