Single cruiser fare more expensive than a double

mochacruiser

We are looking at one possible cruise on the edge with the MIL, and the price for a single person inside cabin for her works out to more money than the price for two in a Balcony guarantee, even factoring in the gratuities for two.

Anyone run into this before? Is it allowed to book her as a double even though she is cruising alone?  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, mochacruiser said:

We are looking at one possible cruise on the edge with the MIL, and the price for a single person inside cabin for her works out to more money than the price for two in a Balcony guarantee, even factoring in the gratuities for two.

Anyone run into this before? Is it allowed to book her as a double even though she is cruising alone?  

Yep, that's the way it is...they charge a singles supplement. I'm a solo cruiser sometimes...

Some ships have solo cabins...but there are very few of them...

Sometimes there is a sale (rare) where they don't charge the singles supplement...

• Like 2

Only once have I encountered my solo rate being more (250%) than the usual price for two (100% x 2), before taxes.  It was a Med cruise before a Transatlantic.  That time I booked for two and cancelled the "other person" prior to the cruise.  The 2nd port charges and taxes were refunded to me within a day or two. 

• Like 1

Right, we have dealt with the single supplement before, but never had this situation where the cost for the single ended up significantly more than the normal cost of not just a double, but of a higher class cabin double.

23 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Yep, that's the way it is...they charge a singles supplement. I'm a solo cruiser sometimes...

Some ships have solo cabins...but there are very few of them...

Sometimes there is a sale (rare) where they don't charge the singles supplement...

12 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Only once have I encountered my solo rate being more (250%) than the usual price for two (100% x 2), before taxes.  It was a Med cruise before a Transatlantic.  That time I booked for two and cancelled the "other person" prior to the cruise.  The 2nd port charges and taxes were refunded to me within a day or two. 

I wasn't sure what they would do in the case of a "no show".   So you actually cancelled it in advance, didn't just notify them at the dock.

1 hour ago, mochacruiser said:

I wasn't sure what they would do in the case of a "no show".   So you actually cancelled it in advance, didn't just notify them at the dock.

I cancelled about a week before the cruise.  I also traveled with a friend travel once who had to fly home from Amsterdam on the turnaround day of a B2B.  Strangely, her taxes were refunded to my onboard account during the second cruise, not to her credit card.  She was fully covered by travel insurance so that didn't matter to her.

• Thanks 1