Booking onboard using an FCC

Beamafar

Does anyone know if you can apply an FCC to a booking made onboard?  Has anyone ever been able to do it?  I’ve emailed MSC but am not confident I’ll get the correct answer, having had a lot of experience of misinformation over the years from them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

Does anyone know if you can apply an FCC to a booking made onboard?  Has anyone ever been able to do it?  I’ve emailed MSC but am not confident I’ll get the correct answer, having had a lot of experience of misinformation over the years from them. 

They would not let me charge the deposit to my room when I booked a cruise on board in October, so I doubt they would let you apply OBC to the deposit. I paid the deposit with the same credit card I had linked to my room, but they said it had to be a separate transaction, even if on the same card.

28 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I don’t want to use OBC for the deposit.  I don’t even want to use the FCC as one (it can’t be used as a deposit).  I just want to know if the FCC can be applied to an onboard booking afterwards. 

Sorry for the confusion. I had been reading another thread about using onboard credit and that was on my mind. 

The only advantage I found to booking on board was an extra $25 OBC.  If you were able to book a cruise that you want using the FCC, I would probably do that rather than waiting until I boarded and hoping they could get it right or apply it later. As many have learned, me included, contacting MSC after you have booked,  or even made final payment, can result in additional charges and many phone calls trying to correct it. It’s best to book what you want and leave the reservation alone.

• Thanks 2

On 2/12/2023 at 11:31 PM, JT1962 said:

Sorry for the confusion. I had been reading another thread about using onboard credit and that was on my mind. 

The only advantage I found to booking on board was an extra $25 OBC.  If you were able to book a cruise that you want using the FCC, I would probably do that rather than waiting until I boarded and hoping they could get it right or apply it later. As many have learned, me included, contacting MSC after you have booked,  or even made final payment, can result in additional charges and many phone calls trying to correct it. It’s best to book what you want and leave the reservation alone.

I would probably have received €/$200 OBC as I was planning to book YC. 

Anyway, I took onboard (no pun intended) what you said and booked direct.  MSC has made it so much easier to apply the FCC than in other past experiences.  It was automatically deducted from the cruise fare (after the 5+5% was applied).  No filling out forms to claim or having to wait for it to be applied.  One of the (few) positive experiences I’ve had of dealing with them.  Now and again MSC does see sense and simplifies things.

Thanks for the advice!  Much appreciated.  

31 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I would probably have received €/$200 OBC as I was planning to book YC. 

Anyway, I took onboard (no pun intended) what you said and booked direct.  MSC has made it so much easier to apply the FCC than in other past experiences.  It was automatically deducted from the cruise fare (after the 5+5% was applied).  No filling out forms to claim or having to wait for it to be applied.  One of the (few) positive experiences I’ve had of dealing with them.  Now and again MSC does see sense and simplifies things.

Thanks for the advice!  Much appreciated.  

Glad it went smoothly. 

• Thanks 1

Is the booking confirmation of your new cruise the same as the cancelled one?  

In the past when I used a FCC I received the same booking number - it was effectively a change of [the old] booking instead a new booking.   For this reason my suspicion (I don't know for sure) is you cannot use FCC for booking a cruise onboard - they can only book new cruises and not change existing ones.