Paros - transportation on the island

soxfan1495

We will be visiting Paros on NCL Jade in May and are considering seeing several villages on the island, including Lefkes and Naoussa.  It might be easiest to take taxis,  or we could rent a car for the day.  We don't know how available taxis are on the island, and we also don't know about ease of car rental from the port.  For anyone who has been to Paros or has information about transportation on the island, what would your suggestions be?  Thanks.

Some will say that the best way to get around Paros is on their public buses, but we have found that one can waste a lot of valuable port time just waiting for the bus.  Personally, when on many of the Greek Islands (including Paros) we find it advantageous to simply rent a car.  Local rental car agencies will generally rent you a car for no more than $50.  This is less expensive than any tour and gives you maximum flexibility to explore much of the island.  In the spring-summer-fall tourist season, if you do want a car, make sure to reserve well in advance.

Hank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Some will say that the best way to get around Paros is on their public buses, but we have found that one can waste a lot of valuable port time just waiting for the bus.  Personally, when on many of the Greek Islands (including Paros) we find it advantageous to simply rent a car.  Local rental car agencies will generally rent you a car for no more than $50.  This is less expensive than any tour and gives you maximum flexibility to explore much of the island.  In the spring-summer-fall tourist season, if you do want a car, make sure to reserve well in advance.

Hank

Thank you Hank.  I just checked and there are cars available (even automatic transmission, which I’d need).  Two small follow up questions.  I apologise for asking since I’m sure both questions are much discussed elsewhere, but (1) I’m wondering if you recommend getting the “zero excess” insurance add on for about $10?  And (2) do you recommend having an international drivers licence when renting a car in Greece even if it is no longer apparently required?

5 minutes ago, soxfan1495 said:

Thank you Hank.  I just checked and there are cars available (even automatic transmission, which I’d need).  Two small follow up questions.  I apologise for asking since I’m sure both questions are much discussed elsewhere, but (1) I’m wondering if you recommend getting the “zero excess” insurance add on for about $10?  And (2) do you recommend having an international drivers licence when renting a car in Greece even if it is no longer apparently required?

Regarding the excess, since we are talking about $10, yeah, I would get it just to avoid hassles if we later had to file a claim (we are covered through our credit card).  As to the IDP, I usually have one of those documents which I have found completely useless for the past 40+ years.  I always figured the first time I do not have an IDP, I will get stopped by a cop for something and he/she will ask :).  The rental companies have never asked for an IDP, but you just never know with the police.  The last time I looked, Greece was one of those countries (like Italy and Germany ) that technically do require an IDP.

Hank

• 1 month later...

May I asked which car rental agency you used/booked with? We will be in Paros in September on NCL Jade.

Soxfan1495, I would love to hear about your cruise when you get back.