Do you really need to get a balcony on an Alaskan cruise?

leahthecaterer

We have been to Alaska in an inside cabin twice - yes a balcony would be fabulous but I'd rather be in an inside cabin than not cruising at all due to cost. Mind you, I pick the location of the cabin carefully so I can easily get to a public outdoor space - one of my Alaskan cruises was on the wonderful Coral in 2019, so we had a cabin near the front of the ship so I could get out the front in just a minute or two any time I like (and I did, a lot!). So if the ship has decent outside decks, like a wrap around promenade for example, or multiple viewing decks aft or forward, inside is just fine.

Hope that helps

Lou

• Like 1

YES. Get the balcony.  Having an area to view in Glacier Park without lots of folks fighting for a piece of the rail on a deck is worth it.  I went to the deck just to take some pictures from a different vantage point when we were cruising in Alaska and it was a madhouse just to get close up pictures from the rails. My vote is definitely for the balcony.  Worth it.  

On 3/10/2023 at 10:39 AM, zogrand said:

Yes!  I think this picture says it all.  We had a big balcony because there was a big family group together.  But here is our family on our balcony.image.thumb.jpeg.22d5f7ba49ec37e3ac4dcbc5695933ce.jpeg

@zogrand, that looks like a suite balcony, no?  I'm curious.  Did everyone have their own balcony cabin?  Or, since you were with a large group, did one of you get a balcony suite and the others get a cheaper inside room knowing they'd have access to your balcony?  We are thinking about taking a family cruise and debating whether to splurge on one room and do interior rooms for the others or get regular balconies.  

• Like 1

@TN-Mountains, We were celebrating our 50th Anniversary so we opted for a suite - you're right.  We had one grandchild with us and the other 2 families had balcony cabins with 4 in each cabin.  That way, when the kids were in bed, the adults could still have the balcony.  We wanted this to be memorable for all.  I'm not a lover of inside cabins so didn't want to put the family in them.  There is one downside to the suite.  It comes with perks that can't be shared with everyone.  We never want to the breakfast at Sabatini's or took advantage of any other perks of suite living.  Small price to pay for the extra cabin space and wonderful balcony.  Be sure to bring your own binoculars - they aren't supplied!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1