Hydra & Athens - Greek Orthodox Easter

meliss35

We have 2 days in Athens and 1 of them is on the Greek Orthodox Easter holiday. We want to explore Athens a little bit (been to Athens before) on one day and another day take a ferry to Hydra. How is it on both Hydra and Athens on the holiday? Will things be shut down on Easter? Will restaurants be open? Should I prebook my ferry to Hydra before we leave the US? Thanks!!

I can't speak for Hydra, but I have been in Athens on Orthodox Easter Sunday and many things (including most tourist attractions) are closed. I would stay in a hotel with a good restaurant as those restaurants are usually open -- the one I stayed in had a super Easter "brunch" that took care of breakfast and lunch. In the late afternoon I walked around Syntagma Square area and found a few restaurants open. One was doing the traditional lamb on a spit right on the sidewalk in front of the doors!  Lots of people (seemed like mostly locals) were out walking around too, greeting each other.

If you have the opportunity and are in Athens on the evening before Easter, try to find and attend one of the midnight services. It is a unique event and very moving. Another option is to visit a church (respectfully) on Easter morning; they often have wonderful music.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s our most holiest day of the year & so most places will be closed. I agree about going to midnight mass if you can - get there by 10.30pm if you want a seat. I like Good Friday morning & evening services as well. Definitely stay in a hotel with a restaurant!