Day Trip from Genoa to Portofino

Chuffers

Hi, we're sailing from Barcelona on 8th July and our stop in Santa Marguerita has been changed and we are now docking in Genoa.   Currently Celebrity are not showing any excursions from Genoa, and I would still like to visit Portofino.   Is it doable? and has anyone else sourced a day trip from Genoa to Portofino, if so what was the cost. Thank you

A friend and I took a Celebrity excursion to Portofino from Genoa on the Galaxy back in 2005. Transportation was by boat, and upon arrival, we were free to explore on our own for a few hours.  It was a very pleasant day.  As it was so long ago, I don't remember the cost, but I can confirm that it is doable, if Celebrity chooses to offer it. 

We tendered in Portofino and walked/bused to Santa Margherita Ligure. It might be easier to just take a train there. Its a lovely area where you can walk up and down the coast to nearby towns (or hop on the local bus--be sure to prepurchase a ticket from machine and validate). Portofino is very small. you can also get the bus (or taxi) to/from Portofino from Santa M. It runs every 30 minutes or so all day.

On 2/26/2023 at 2:27 PM, Joanne G. said:

A friend and I took a Celebrity excursion to Portofino from Genoa on the Galaxy back in 2005. Transportation was by boat, and upon arrival, we were free to explore on our own for a few hours.  It was a very pleasant day.  As it was so long ago, I don't remember the cost, but I can confirm that it is doable, if Celebrity chooses to offer it. 

Thanks for the information Joanne, maybe they are sorting it as we speak!

On 2/26/2023 at 2:53 PM, elaine5 said:

We tendered in Portofino and walked/bused to Santa Margherita Ligure. It might be easier to just take a train there. Its a lovely area where you can walk up and down the coast to nearby towns (or hop on the local bus--be sure to prepurchase a ticket from machine and validate). Portofino is very small. you can also get the bus (or taxi) to/from Portofino from Santa M. It runs every 30 minutes or so all day.

Thanks for the information Elaine, the area sounds lovely, I hope we get to see it.

We caught the train from Genoa to Santa Margherita de Ligure then the bus from there to Portofino. Our original plan was to hike from Santa Margherita to Portofino (about 5km) but the train we were on broke down so we were late arriving and didn’t want to risk it, The bus got stuck in a major traffic jam (journey supposed to take 10 minutes but ended up taking 30) so we were so worried about making it back to Genoa that we literally got off the bus in Portofino then right back on and headed back to the train station. The return journey was uneventful and we made it back in plenty of time but without seeing any sights in Portofino. For that reason I would recommend a ship’s excursion in this case!