Live from the Gem - March 10-21, 2023 NY to Bermuda to Caribbean to NY

It’s a cold and rainy morning but the rain appears to be stopping as we make our way back to NYC for our final day and sea day. 

We tried sharing the shrimp toast at breakfast which was excellent. I think they ran out of the little super yummy hashbrowns as we had this substitute which was not as good. 

We went to the spa right after breakfast to enjoy the thermal pool and hot tub one more time before the crowds. The heated lounge chairs were available for us to use on all visits despite a few chair hogs who tried reserving them for an extended time period but fortunately this was minimal on this cruise compared to others with the thermal spa. 

BD9E70B3-1D21-4223-88C5-3637A27F5E11.jpeg

5770638C-5A0A-442F-88AA-099AFDC48DB4.jpeg

• Like 1

Sounds like you have a wonderful time in spite of all the medical emergencies.

Wherever home may be, I pray you have a smooth journey to your destination.

Thank You for all your postings.  It has been years since I have been on The Gem.  Lots of wonderful memories.

• Like 1

If you get to cruise on the Gem in the Haven/Suites and eat in Moderno/Cagney’s for breakfast/lunch or in Cagney’s in the evening for all, I can assure you will have fantastic service by all.  

The Host/Hostess during breakfast or lunch is Ernille who is the happiest and one of the kindest  persons you will meet who has a contagious smile. Ernille works in Magenta for dinner. We observed as some guests tried to sneak in to seat themselves at preferred window tables and Ernille was so professional despite how rude a few guests could be. 

Next, Ivy is a strong leader who makes magic happen for so many guests as the maitre d’,  She isn’t afraid to dive in to take guest orders during peak times and help to get tables ready quickly for the most demanding and picky guests. I do think NCL will benefit from continuing to promote her and I won’t be surprised when she is a future food and beverage manager. She is so engaging and you can see that she has a high level of emotional intelligence which is needed in this demanding position.  

The servers of Leah, Wayan and Nikhil tended to be our primary servers for breakfast and lunch and we are so blessed to be placed in their sections as they were accurate and efficient and they remembered our preferences. 

We did write vacation hero cards for all and did tip them, too. 

While we appreciate the great service and had some friendly  conversations with other guests, many of these NCL crew deal with some real jerks as we unfortunately witnessed but were amazed and how the crew members remained professional and calm when a few guests were rude and demanding.  Maybe the crews kindness and humility will make some realize they can take a deep breath and be kind in return. We can wish. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Sounds like you have a wonderful time in spite of all the medical emergencies.

Wherever home may be, I pray you have a smooth journey to your destination.

Thank You for all your postings.  It has been years since I have been on The Gem.  Lots of wonderful memories.

Thank you so much!  While I have not spoken to Paquito but did see him and did appreciate the cruise staff who did a great job with trivia and other events, here is a visual trivia photo of him for a bonus question. 

I’ll see if I can spot him tonight to say hello. What is the cruise position/role of the other person you asked about? 

266FCD4A-4C7B-47A4-9D23-0DEFD3038528.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Seas2mountains said:

Thank you so much!  While I have not spoken to Paquito but did see him and did appreciate the cruise staff who did a great job with trivia and other events, here is a visual trivia photo of him for a bonus question. 

I’ll see if I can spot him tonight to say hello. What is the cruise position/role of the other person you asked about? 

266FCD4A-4C7B-47A4-9D23-0DEFD3038528.jpeg

Dhruv Bogati is from Nepal and a Head Mixolgist (Head Bartender)

A funny situation.  When we were docked in Tortola, we were walking on deck 7. I needed to use the restroom so I approached the nearest women’s restroom.  A woman was standing outside the restroom and whispered and asked me not to enter. I asked why. She whispered that her husband was inside using the multi-stall restroom and I should use the handicapped restroom instead. I was intrigued as to why he was using the women’s restroom and asked her if the men’s restroom was being cleaned. He walked out and admitted that because they were late for an excursion, he was “too lazy” to walk down the hall to the available men’s restroom. 

So if you are feeling lazy or are in a hurry, grab the one you feel like using regardless of inconveniencing other guests. 

• Haha 2

Last dinner in Cagney’s. Delicious with excellent service as usual. 

Appetizers 

Oysters Rockefeller 

Shrimp Trio

Entrees 

5 ounce filet mignon with lobster tail

Lamb with lobster tail

Broccoli 

Mushrooms

Onion Rings

Spinach

There were some issues connecting to Cruise Critic but not to other websites. 

24AFC257-E610-402D-B087-26693E4ACD7B.jpeg

10333534-29D1-4762-B651-CF0E965AB896.jpeg

789A251F-BFE3-4805-B146-1293078FC3A8.jpeg

8714EE64-63E1-4FC2-8208-94FC09D01F2B.jpeg

B9BDA47F-5525-47F2-8ECF-97CDE52E42CA.jpeg

E931E899-863E-4A51-B54D-1199A7F9513D.jpeg

6F46D6A4-A22C-4EDD-91E0-0F327CC466E5.jpeg

FE35D55D-90A7-40C1-B2B7-C6BF1A019A37.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Seas2mountains said:

NCL did a really nice job on our first cruise with the new military recognition. This was in our cabin when we embarked. 

Nice! I usually share Cruise Critic posts with husband, but I am going to let that be a surprise.

• Like 1

Disembarkation was smooth and easy except for one person in port. 

We got off the ship a little before 8am and used the priority line. The concierge on the Gem, Leo, is a true professional and you will be lucky if he is in charge of anything on NCL as he was always available and engaged. He sometimes found us at dinner to follow-up. 

One person working to direct people  in port tried to stop us from using the priority line and also tried stopping other Haven/Suite guests, too, but we insisted and he finally backed down and let us use it after showing our cards. 

We were in a taxi across from Pier 88 soon after and got to LGA about 9am as there was a lot of traffic.  We were able to move our 2pm flight to one departing about 12 Noon.  

Overall, we had a fantastic cruise thanks to the wonderful crew working so hard. The Gem leadership impressed us as they did try to be visible and we know a great crew doesn’t exist if there aren’t great leaders involved. 

We think NCL is doing the right thing to eliminate the in-person muster drill as we found it did not add to understanding what to do in an emergency. 

Our next cruise is about two months away on the Escape with similar port stops but we are taking family with us. Honestly, we’d rather be on the Jewel in Alaska but family wanted beach related stops. Oh well. 

Thanks for coming along. It was fun to read comments. 

• Like 4