Pros/cons of whale watching excursions in Juneau

eileeshb

I’m sailing with NCL in October (yes I know it’s late season but work dictates it’s the only time I can go).

so I’m looking for advice from those who’ve done one or more of the various whale watching excursions in Juneau.

Due to the cruise being in October some excursions that are available earlier in the season will not be available, shorter hours of daylight.

the 2 NCL listed excursions I’m considering are:

Discover Alaska’s Whales - this is more expensive but a smaller group size and is run by Gatineau 

Whale watching & wildlife quest - a bit cheaper but could be 200 people on the boat and I think is run by Allen Marine

Going independent of NCL I think these 2 might be available and about the same price as NCL’s whale watching & wildlife quest

Premier whale watching experience- listed by Juneau tours

Alaska outback whale watching experience- Harv and marv

if anyone has experience with what any of these providers do when the weather is less than calm I would appreciate it.

Both are good.  If it was rocky, I would prefer the Allen Marine catamaran.  It's larger and quite stable because of its design.  Gastineau and the private tours are all on smaller boats.  The area where the whales are is fairly sheltered, but they will cancel the tour if it is too rough.  Also be aware that many whales will have left for Hawaii by October.

Most private vendors will be shut down by mid-October.

Edited by wolfie11