Icy Point - Ketchickan - Juneau excursion - not through the ship?

SunnyKitty

I started planning excursions and to my surprise Alaska is not Caribbean,  seems like local operators are not cheaper than the ship ( Princess). Do I miss anything ?

It seems a bit crazy charging 140$ for a hiking tour, say, in Icy point. Are there any options to take a taxi to a hiking trail? I don't really need a guide, I want a nice hike with views.

Same questions for other spots - what are truly "wow" excursions which worth the money or cheaper options to explore nature? Not so much into whales, more in hiking, glaciers..

Mt. Roberts in Juneau.  You can hike up or take a hike after going up on the Tram.  Icy Strait you can walk down the road to Hoonah.   Ketchikan has the married man’s trail up to Cape Fox Lodge.  These are short and easily accessed from the port.  In Alaska you have to be cautious of bear activity if you go too far away from town.

Go online for each location’s visitor’s bureau to see if there is a document showing hiking trails.  Skagway has lots of documented and rated hiking trails but that doesn’t seem to be on your itinerary.

Icy Strait and Juneau are known for whale watching.  

• Like 1

Ketchickan is very walkable. One year we took a tour someone was selling as we exited the ship and it didn't really go far, but got us out and away from the town. We shared the "tour" with one other couple and made a couple of stops.

Juneau is more interesting for doing your own things. Had done some advanced reading on these boards and found that you could take the city bus to Mendenhall Glacier, walk to the glacier and catch a bus back. They have a visitors center that can be visited for info. The other option is the gondola thing that goes up the hill near the ship docks. Yes, it costs money and can be either booked through the cruise line or purchase once you are on land. I would not pre-purchase. Have had it foggy and rainy when we got there and there were no views from the top. If the weather cooperates their are stunning views and areas that can be walked.

Can't answer Icy Point. Will be looking for info myself. Haven't been there since it first became a port and know things have changed since it opened.