Shore Excursions with kids?

KOS

We have a 7 and a 3 year old. What do they do during shores excursions? We'd love to take us with them, but at least online, Carnival won't let me sign them up due to age restrictions.

Thanks!!!

KOS

Some people will probably tell you to utilize Camp Carnival while you go on your excursions. That has never been my idea of a family vacation or the safest thing to do while in a foreign port.

I suggest you look into well known, responsible, independent tour operators who may not have age restrictions, do your own tours or go to the beach until the kids are old enough to go along on ship sponsored tours. You can find several independent guides recommended on the Ports of Call section of this board. :)

Which ship/itinerary are you sailing? We've sailed 4 times with Carnival since 1/05, and our kids have been 2 & 6 or, most recently on the Miracle 2/19, 3 & 7.

The only ship-sponsored excursion we took was on the last cruise, and I was able to book the River Wallace and Altun Ha excursion in Belize on line before leaving.

If by chance you are visiting any ports we have, I'd be happy to at least let you know what we did and how it worked for us.

I hope you have as much fun as we have had! Happy sailing!

We're out on the Sensation 6/5 headed to Grand Turk (a new port stop), Nassau, and a Carnival Island. We were really hoping for a more "family" vacation, but if we can't take the kids with us on excursions that wont be much fun.

Thanks!!

KOS

My youngest was 4 the first time he cruised which was on the Sensation. We did western though...out of Tampa. he is now 7. He still is not tall enough or not interested for most excursions. We do the beach one stop. The rest we just will do a quick walk around and then head back to ship. You will find ship empty and can really have some great family time in pools.

Ive been to Nassau before. Atlantis would be nice as would the aquarium thing they have.

KOS: Gosh, can't help with any of those....Sorry!

I have been considering a cruise which includes Nassau. Have you considered either the Pirate's Museum (apparently within very easy walking distance of where the ship is docked, not very high-tech, but with a big walk-through pirate ship, some educational exhibits, and a "pub" with complimentary drink for adults) or Atlantis? Atlantis seems somewhat complicated, with "day room" rentals (at about $200) to enable use of the pool and beach facilities, to people claiming that if you arrive in the evening you can see the "digs" without a cover charge. I also understand many people are very happy at several public beaches...

Hope that whatever you decide, you and the kids have a grand time!

Where do you find out about the day room rental. We went to the Atlantis about 3 years ago (only had one son then and he was about 3) but had a great time. With the facilities there that might be a good family excurison, and worth the money! ANy info would be great!

Thanks!

KOS

There is a lot of information here on the Bahamas board in the destination section. As I understand it, the day room rentals are not something you can arrange in advance - you take a chance one will be available upon your arrival. Others have said you can reserve a room in the hotel across the street (Comfort Inn??) and this will enable 4 people to use all of the facilities at Atlantis. Apparently all of the excursions to the resort DO NOT include beach or pool access, just the Dig. Having been there, all of this may make more sense to you than it does to me!

• 3 years later...

Help, we are having the same problem. I have a 3 and 7 year old that we want to take on the jeep and snorkel at punta sur in Cozymel, but when I try to book online it's not letting me check the kids to go. Is there an age requirement on this excursion. Really want the whole family to do this. Thanks.

Help, we are having the same problem. I have a 3 and 7 year old that we want to take on the jeep and snorkel at punta sur in Cozymel, but when I try to book online it's not letting me check the kids to go. Is there an age requirement on this excursion. Really want the whole family to do this. Thanks.

On the shore excursion description click on "details", it is there you will see the minimum age restrictions. You might want to consider a taxi, that way you can bring your car seat so your three year old is safe on the way. Obviously, you children's ages will restrict some excursions, you just have to think differently and work out what is going to work best and most safely for your family. Have fun..

Cheryl

I really wish Carnival would put an icon or something on their main list so you don't have to click on each excursion just to see if there is an age restriction. It's so time consuming.

As far as what to do with 3 and 7, I'm not sure. Our DD will be 6 on our next cruise, so we'll probably be sticking with beach days.

Have you checked out the family cruising board for some ideas?

We have a 7 and a 3 year old. What do they do during shores excursions? We'd love to take us with them, but at least online, Carnival won't let me sign them up due to age restrictions.

Thanks!!!

KOS

We are taking my son 6 and 3 and I am running into the same thing. I have decided that on one or two of the days hubby and I will go solo and leave the kids at CC. Now if I get there and I don't feel comfortable doing that, I will alter the plan. Yes, this is a family vacation, but we don't have to spend every waking minute together. I really want to do the jeep excursion and it will be YEARS before my smallest dude is old enough to join us.

Hugs,

Chelle

Archived