Best Alaska mainstream cruise line & ship?

rachelfran

I took an Alaska cruise 10 years ago aboard the Island Princess -- it was great but it's been a long time and I'm hoping to come back in 2024 with some of my family who have never been ... I'm wondering if folks have other favorites these days ... At the time we wanted the smallest mainstream cruise line that was affordable and offered a stop at Glacier Bay via the inside passage.  My sister will likely want the same so I'm just checking on folks favorites these days ...There will be no kids traveling and we'll likely do a Vancouver to Whittier or similar route.

Thanks for any input!

Rachel

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 2:08 PM, rachelfran said:

I took an Alaska cruise 10 years ago aboard the Island Princess -- it was great but it's been a long time and I'm hoping to come back in 2024 with some of my family who have never been ... I'm wondering if folks have other favorites these days ... At the time we wanted the smallest mainstream cruise line that was affordable and offered a stop at Glacier Bay via the inside passage.  My sister will likely want the same so I'm just checking on folks favorites these days ...There will be no kids traveling and we'll likely do a Vancouver to Whittier or similar route.

Thanks for any input!

Rachel

Holland America and Princess are the best in Alaska and both use the Whittier port in Alaska and both have itineraries that visit Glacier Bay.   I have only sailed the Holland America ships.  In Glacier Bay the national park rangers will come onboard to narrate the transit and the bow will be open for passengers for closer viewing.  Holland America will probably have fewer children but Alaska is a “family” destination for many cruisers and you’ll find 3 generations sharing this adventure.   Plan to spend some extra time in Alaska so you can enjoy Seward and the Turnagain Arm area between Seward and Anchorage.   Holland America probably has the smaller ships of the two lines.  Koningsdam will be HAL’s largest ship in the Alaska market.

• Like 1