Viking Ancient Mediterranean Treasures

We are going on this Viking tour May 12-19, 2023 and  would appreciate any suggestions on Istanbul.  We are staying at the Conrad Bosphorus Hotel and are looking for what to see while there on the pre-excursion,  

looking for what to see while there on the pre-excursion,  

Sorry, but it is generally better to stay in the historic Sultanahmet area as many of the main sights are located there or very near to there, and it is generally more convenient overall as several other sights can be easily reached on foot, especially the waterfront , Spice Market, Galata Tower, Galata Bridge  and others.. It is the area you are likely to spend most of your time in. And the trams run through there too, and given how awful road traffic is in Istanbul, trams are the transport of choice.  Is your hotel close to a tram line? I ask because that word "Bosphorus" concerns me a little. If it is not, you may have to spend longer getting to and from Sultanahmet than you would like and that will curtail your available time there.

4 hours ago, edinburgher said:

looking for what to see while there on the pre-excursion,  

Sorry, but it is generally better to stay in the historic Sultanahmet area as many of the main sights are located there or very near to there, and it is generally more convenient overall as several other sights can be easily reached on foot, especially the waterfront , Spice Market, Galata Tower, Galata Bridge  and others.. It is the area you are likely to spend most of your time in. And the trams run through there too, and given how awful road traffic is in Istanbul, trams are the transport of choice.  Is your hotel close to a tram line? I ask because that word "Bosphorus" concerns me a little. If it is not, you may have to spend longer getting to and from Sultanahmet than you would like and that will curtail your available time there.

Yes, I had the same misgivings, but being a coward I decided to wait and let someone else break the bad news.

The Conrad Bosphorus is in the opposite direction from the cruise port, more importantly it's a mile & a half from the Kabitas terminus of the tram route to Sultanahmet. And it's up a steep hill - payback for the glorious views 

BoBaby  If it's not too late to do so without a big penalty, I suggest you switch to a hotel in the old part of the city -  Sultanahmet.

As the edinburgher say, most of the city's sights are clustered there and within walking-distance of each-other.

JB  🙂

BoBaby  If it's not too late to do so without a big penalty, I suggest you switch to a hotel in the old part of the city -  Sultanahmet.

JB, thanks for agreeing.  Must admit I hesitated to suggest the move if possible but the OP will find they lose a massive amount of time each day simply getting from hotel to Sultanahmet, and back again at the end of the day. And that hilly walk you describe and the walk from the nearest tram station will be worse after a day sightseeing.and walking around-   And the traffic so appalling that the only gain from a taxi ride will be that they have seats.

If staying in Sultanahmet, a short stay of 2 or 3 days should mean being able to sightsee and dine  without any need to leave that area and with it all only a short walk away.

Why do cruise lines think it is acceptable to put their pax in inconvenient locations?

Edited by edinburgher

22 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Why do cruise lines think it is acceptable to put their pax in inconvenient locations?

BoBaby didn't mention that it was a cruise line-booked hotel .......................................... but I had wondered about that myself.

Always good hotels, but location doesn't seem to be amongst their criteria.

Conrad Bosphorus looks like an excellent modern hotel with all the amenities a person could want and glorious views - but location, location, location.

JB 🙂.

BoBaby didn't mention that it was a cruise line-booked hotel

JB I made an assumption which was probably incorrect.  OTOH, if not a cruise line pre- cruise land extension, there is a good chance that the OP could tweak  the booking with no penalty as so many hotel reservations can be changed up until 24 or 36 hours before arrival.

And if unable to be changed, at least the OP has been warned about travelling across the city and can research and make plans bearing in mind the potential issues  which have been highlighted.

BoBaby, Istanbul is a fascinating and vibrant city which you will love to explore..

Edited by edinburgher