Dining Room menus from 1984 - Chandris Victoria

tofubeast

Sharing menus from a cruise I took with my family nearly 40 years ago on Chandris Victoria (now Celebrity Cruises). In the summer of ‘84, we took a week-long cruise out of Puerto Rico. It was my first cruise. Even as a kid, I remember the food was delicious and we had a fabulous waiter from the Philippines, JoJo. 

Back then, you could get copies of the dining room menus as a souvenir. It’s amazing to see what was offered versus what you see on a typical cruise today. I remember it being so much more formal.

I hope you enjoy a glimpse into the past. 

6ADFCBE8-1052-4058-87D9-149D52A9C0EA.jpeg

05720D63-4FD8-40AF-8D3D-FB71C393D9C8.jpeg

18372BA8-053D-40B2-B5E8-C6EAEA222AF8.jpeg

C3BB8ED2-E54C-4E3A-AE12-4ABCFE1F1D7D.jpeg

DA027CF9-683B-44C3-B3B7-AC1F08BD1271.jpeg

74ADCBAC-564E-4EF6-8C72-4AB59B960452.jpeg

79567479-AC80-4E46-A0A6-4BC2FB0D5DC8.jpeg

E11ADDBC-8D4F-4B36-8DFF-C74C18979987.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

What a joy to see those classic Chandris X menus from the beloved Victoria.  Imagine Caviar, Baron of Lamb, Beef Wellington and roast duck…all on the same menu!  I had an entire collection of Victoria menus from her original owners…Incres Line.  She had all Italian service in those days.  Chandris acquired her later.  Victoria was a classic and much loved ship.  She used to call at Boston on occasion and I would drive over to Commonwealth Pier to see her.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2023 at 5:24 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

What a joy to see those classic Chandris X menus from the beloved Victoria.  Imagine Caviar, Baron of Lamb, Beef Wellington and roast duck…all on the same menu!  I had an entire collection of Victoria menus from her original owners…Incres Line.  She had all Italian service in those days.  Chandris acquired her later.  Victoria was a classic and much loved ship.  She used to call at Boston on occasion and I would drive over to Commonwealth Pier to see her.  

Glad you enjoyed seeing them.  I was a little kid when I sailed this cruise, so I didn’t have as sophisticated of a palette as I do as an adult.  Looking back and what was offered in those days in a regular dining room? Wow. 

1 hour ago, tofubeast said:

Glad you enjoyed seeing them.  I was a little kid when I sailed this cruise, so I didn’t have as sophisticated of a palette as I do as an adult.  Looking back and what was offered in those days in a regular dining room? Wow. 

It is amazing to compare those menus with the mass production main dining rooms onboard the current gigantic circus ships.  The level of service, quality of ingredients and attention to detail reflected in the above menus shows us a stark contrast to the mediocrity being offered today.  Thanks again…it is a thrill to see how pax were feted in that golden era.  

You might want to post those menus over on the “Cruise Foodies”site.  The gang over there would love to see them.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

• 2 weeks later...