Mid May car rental

Barbara60

Sitka and Ketchikan are both very walkable with main attractions near town and not much of a road system.  Sitka has a road that goes out to Halibut Point (7 miles) and another road that goes to Sawmill Creek around 5 miles from town.  Ketchikan has a road north of town that goes to Walmart, Ward Cove, and Settler's Cove (18 miles) and south to St. George Inlet (12 miles).  

I've had cars in both Juneau and Haines.  Juneau has a road that goes 40 miles north of town with several attractions that have been discussed on similar threads. Haines is one of three towns in Alaska you can drive to, so you can drive into Canada or out to Chilkoot Lake.  The next town other than a small First Nations village to the north is Haines Junction (150 miles).  There are two mountain passes to cross and in mid-May there should be plenty of snow still.  Canadians can't rent a car in the US and drive it into Canada.

Be prepared to pay around $100+ for the day, except in Haines which will probably run around $250.

Edited by wolfie11

We booked Turo for both Sitka & Juneau. I liked that you can specify pick up/drop off location close to port. You probably don't need a car in Sitka but we are a family of 5 and like the  flexibility to go wherever we want, some of the hikes I found to do are outside of town and this way we don't have to coordinate a taxi to pick up when we are done. We aren't big on the touristy things like the Bear & Raptor Centers.