Food Allergies

joannelj

I've read a few threads here about allergies, and they were quite helpful, and make me believe I will be able to take my sister on a cruise.  But I'm hoping for something a little more specific...

My sister is allergic to sulfites.  They are added to lots of prepackaged items, dry mixes, dried fruit, etc.  (like gravy mixes, or onion soup mix, or dried peppers or dried fruit.)  They are listed in ingredients, so she's usually able to keep it in control, when she is cooking for herself, or at most restaurants. (Yay restaurant nutrition websites!)  Now this is not life or death, she won't die - but she will be violently ill, and in the room for the next 6-12 hours puking - so definitely would like to avoid this.

So the question - do they have a list of all the different allergens the food might contain?  Most places list the common ones, but don't mention sulphites.  One of the few places that does is chipotle (https://chipotle.com/allergens) which I appreciate. 

Contact the 'special needs' folks at the lines you are considering.

I took a behind the scenes tour a few years back - and the QM2 Britannia restaurant galley devoted one of its five prep lines to special diet requests. I would assume that most dining rooms have similar accommodations - and most buffets less accommodating [e.g. 'gluten free' labeling ]

@joannelj

Perhaps something in the following oldie but goodie Cruise Critic article will be helpful:

10 Tips for Cruising With a Dietary Restriction -- and Eating Well

suggest you use the Follow feature on this thread or any other thread where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new replies because they will come looking for you as notifications! If you need more info on how to do it, please click the following: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info)