Hal dock in LA ?

square Knot

The Super shuttle sounds like a good idea as some people will be leaving the ship in LA and others joining to go through the Panama Canal & Amazon River to Tampa. Shuttles may well be in the area bringing people to and from the ship. Next question:

How do I contact them?

Regards,

Sandra

You would call them from the cruise terminal Ma'am. Their local phone # is 800-BLUE VAN and or 213-688-0444

Check out their website for more at http://www.supershuttle.com/htm/cities/lax.htm

Hi Jane,

We'll be making a stop in San Pedro in September on the Veendam. We want to visit the Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown LA.I love Frank Gerhy's architecture. Is San Pedro very far from downtown LA? Would you know how much a taxi might be? Is there a public transport option ?

I'd appreciate anyone's input.

Sandra

Sandra:

Although I primarily sing with Los Angeles Opera across the street in the Chandler Pavilion, I have performed in Disney many times. If you contact me about a week in advance of your arrival here in LA, I can check the schedule for Disney Hall for that day, and see what time the tours are. Most importantly, I will check the master schedule calendar to see if there are any rehearsals going on, which would mean that you would only be able to see the lobby and the gardens, but not inside the hall itself, which is closed to tours when a rehearsal was in progress. Tour times change from week to week, but there should be tours each weekday.

Thankyou that is very kind of you. Fancy performing in such a wonderful venue. We are having an opera feast here at the moment on our radio station ABC Classic FM. At the end of last year listeners were invited to vote for their favourite aria.(only one vote per person) They compiled a list of the top 100. At the moment they are playing them backwards from 100. We have just heard No 75. On Saturday (I think) there is going to be a performance of the top 10 in the Sydney Opera House. They won't publish a full list until after the concert. Patrons have purchased tickets not knowing what they will be hearing.

If you would like to know what Australians think of Opera I can send you the link.

My email is pesancoman @ hotmail.com

I don't want to take up space on the CC board talking opera if others aren't interested.

Cheers,

Sandra

sandydownunder --

I just got back from an evening watching belly dancing in San Pedro at the former Sheraton and found all this activity! You've got some great answers to your question about getting to the Disney Concert Hall - the 110 Freeway can be a parking lot even at non-rush hour times. I think it all depends on how much time you have and the day of the week you're docking in San Pedro (or Long Beach?). I would avoid public transportation - it takes twice as long as driving. Dividing the cost of a taxi between several people sounds good and so does Super Shuttle. Plus you'll be in the carpool lane for most of the ride up the 110. There's other interesting things to see close by - the Cathedral and the rest of the Music Center.

Oh yes, when I worked up in the mid-Wilshire area, I came home via the 110 freeway and traffic would start getting backed up at 3 pm, so watching the time would be vital to get back to the ship. I quit that commute in 1999 and traffic just keeps getting worse!

Himself - my dad arrived in San Pedro on a Holland America cruise that had been through the Panama Canal and was repositioning up to Vancouver. Unfortunately, I don't remember which ship it was. It was about 6 or 7 years ago, I think. It sure was an easy pickup, except for the fact that there was some problem with the longshoremen and disembarkation was delayed a couple of hours..... It was his next-to-last cruise before Parkinson's kept him landbound.

Good luck getting up to downtown LA!

Jane

Archived