Hal dock in LA ?

square Knot

On the 2005 world cruise, we docked at a different pier. It was right next to the Queen Mary permanent berth, about 100 yards to her stern and almost at right angles. It's about 5 miles East of the big cruise terminal. I don't know how often that terminal is used.

On the 2005 world cruise, we docked at a different pier. It was right next to the Queen Mary permanent berth, about 100 yards to her stern and almost at right angles. It's about 5 miles East of the big cruise terminal. I don't know how often that terminal is used.

That is the Long Beach Cruise Ship terminal which Carnival Corporation built for Carnival departures out of LA. It is part of the dome that was originally built to house the Spruce Goose. The QM2 went to Long Beach earlier this year for the "family reunion" with QM, so there do appear to be a few exceptions for other Carnival Corporation owned ships. The calendar on the port website does not go out far enough to see where Cunard docks on 2007 world cruises (Long Beach has the Queen Mary and other attractions nearby, so it is in my opinion a better port call than San Pedro).

Barbara, I will be getting on when you are getting off, to do the coastal to Vancouver.

It's interesting that the Volendam in port here on April 18 does not show up on either of the port schedules, though, San Pedro or Long Beach. :confused: I know it is rare to get a HAL ship here but you'd think they would at least list it on the schedules...

I was giving some thought to taking the whole cruise - but am taking off 2 1/2 weeks from work as it is. This is the first time since we started our business 11 years ago that I have taken this much time - but my employees are glad to get rid of me I think.

BTW - guess I better find out where we're coming into in San Pedro so my daughter can pick me up!!

Ella2 - have a wonderful time!

Barbara

Thanks Barbara, you too...it sounds like a FABULOUS cruise for you! :) I would love to do a long cruise, but like you, have other obligations.

The only other ship in port in San Pedro that day should be the Norwegian Star, so hopefully your daughter will be able to see the Volendam even if you don't get specific pier information before you got. I'm sure there will be signage too.

Enjoy! :)

Grumpy's posting was news to me; I didn't know that HAL used (uses) Long Beach harbor. For many years, they have been using San Pedro (Port of L.A. world cruise center) either at slips 91, 92 or 93. The port of LA website shows the following info:

All Carnival Cruise Line Ships and some ships of the cruise lines owned by Carnival Corporation arrive and depart from Long Beach. All other Cruise ships depart from the The Port of Los Angeles World Cruise Center in San Pedro

Since San Diego became HAL's #1 port in Southern California, there aren't as many visits from HAL ships to LA anymore. The only time we see "dam ships" here is as part of some (not all)repositionings to or from Vancouver and/or the world cruise itself. The City of LA has dropped the ball big time for years refusing to put any money into either the cruise center and/or the surrounding area (i.e. Ports 'o Call village). The real wakeup call came when Carnival moved their two regular Mexico ships to Long Beach, and converted the then empty Spruce Goose dome into a cruise terminal (as Stebul already mentioned). The city fathers suddenly realized that they better do something so, within the last year or so, a new landscaping project has been completed from Acapulco restaurant (located on the edge of Ports 'o Call and the Los Angeles Maritime museum) north-bound to the cruise center following Harbor Blvd. (pedestrian walkways, new palm trees, colored concrete, benches at view points, etc). There's supposed to be more in the works as part of a grand plan but we recently heard that this plan is on hold again!

We Will Be Arriving On The 4th Of May. Assuming That We Will Be Docking In San Pedro. How Does One Tell For Sure Where We Will Arrive? Have A Daughter That Will Be Picking Us Up And Will Need To Let Her Know.

Thanks,

We Will Be Arriving On The 4th Of May. Assuming That We Will Be Docking In San Pedro. How Does One Tell For Sure Where We Will Arrive? Have A Daughter That Will Be Picking Us Up And Will Need To Let Her Know.

Thanks,

Your cruise docs should indicate it when you get them but I would call HAL's Ships Services to make sure

www.cruisecal.com/dnn shows Westerdam at Los Angeles on May 4. Also Volendam on April 18. All ships docking at Long Beach are shown as Los Angeles (Long Beach). It looks like Carnival Pride and Paradise will be the regulars there. Did the new Queen Mary actully dock at Long Beach or did they just do a drive by and then dock at San Pedro?

www.cruisecal.com/dnn shows Westerdam at Los Angeles on May 4. Also Volendam on April 18. All ships docking at Long Beach are shown as Los Angeles (Long Beach). It looks like Carnival Pride and Paradise will be the regulars there. Did the new Queen Mary actully dock at Long Beach or did they just do a drive by and then dock at San Pedro?

QM2 did not dock in Long Beach Grumpy (apparently too shallow for her); she positioned herself (well, her captain did;) ) as close to the first Queen as possible and both then fired off a bunch of whistle salutes to each other. She's been in LA three times now but due to her size could not get underneath the Vincent Thomas bridge to make the customary u-turn to dock. Therefore she had to "back in" to the port of LA until she docked. We went out there on her second visit and had dinner along the waterfront as she pulled out, she's quite a sight :)

Well, I am confused. It does show the Veendam being in Los Angeles for Sept 28th along with 3 other ships one being the Westerdam. But what I am confused at in the calender it also shows Monarch of the Seas and she goes to San Pedro. So my question is how do we know if it is Long Beach or San Pedro:confused:

Well, I am confused. It does show the Veendam being in Los Angeles for Sept 28th along with 3 other ships one being the Westerdam. But what I am confused at in the calender it also shows Monarch of the Seas and she goes to San Pedro. So my question is how do we know if it is Long Beach or San Pedro:confused:

If CruiseCal shows Los Angeles with noting else, that's San Pedro. If it shows Los Angeles (Long Beach), that's long Beach. Clear as mud now?:)

Neat site, Grumpy! :) But confusing to me too.

It shows the Norwegian Star (which I KNOW sails out of San Pedro, been there done that) and the Volendam BOTH on the port listing for Los Angeles on April 18. Plus for Los Angeles it shows all the usual ships that sail out of San Pedro, not Long Beach.

But, when you click on the PORT link for the Volendam on April 18 it shows the webcam for Long Beach. :rolleyes:

Guess I'll wait to get my docs to know for sure!

I have my travel docs and all it says is Arpil 18th cruise ends in Los Angeles - nothing at all about Long Beach. Guess I'll call HAL or my TA tomorrow and get it cleared up.

Have a nice day you all - someplace it must be warm - awfully chilly here (41) for So. Calif!

Barbara

Neat site, Grumpy! :) But confusing to me too.

It shows the Norwegian Star (which I KNOW sails out of San Pedro, been there done that) and the Volendam BOTH on the port listing for Los Angeles on April 18. Plus for Los Angeles it shows all the usual ships that sail out of San Pedro, not Long Beach.

But, when you click on the PORT link for the Volendam on April 18 it shows the webcam for Long Beach. :rolleyes:

Guess I'll wait to get my docs to know for sure!

If you click on the portcam link for any of the LA ships, the Long Beach webcam comes up. There doesn't seem to be one for San Pedro. San Pedro can handle three ships at once, and the Norwegian Star is the only other one in San Pedro that day, so plenty of room for Volendam.

Ah, okay, that makes sense then. San Pedro it is. Thanks, Grumpy. :)

And Barbara, I hear you, it's COLD here for us this time of year! Guess we're making up for those 90-degree temps we had back in January. :rolleyes:

All Carnival Cruise Line Ships and some ships of the cruise lines owned by Carnival Corporation arrive and depart fromLong Beach. All other Cruise ships depart from the The Port of Los Angeles World Cruise Center in San Pedro

Now that's not real helpful, is it? Seems like the thing to do is check your final docs carefully and look at the official port calendars. Of course, I have had final docs give incorrect information, too (my travel agent did contact me when this happened, and the official port website was correct).

When we cruised on the Summit out of San Pedro this past October, we stayed at the Coastal Hotel Long Beach and walked over to the Queen Mary. It was wonderful! Touring the Queen Mary was such fun ... like going back in time.

I would loved to depart from Long Beach instead of San Pedro because there are so many more wonderful hotels and things to do in that area.

It's a short trip over to San Pedro usually, but when we were there they'd closed down the road leading there from Long Beach so we had to drive a big up and around to get to San Pedro.

I know this has nothing to do with anything, but I have never been so hopelessly lost as we were trying to find where we were going in the dark in Long Beach from LAX. We ended up in San Pedro and everything looked the same. I thought we'd never get out of that maze!!!!:)

Archived