Have "Sail with Liberty" Booked in Red Hook - best way to get there?

mtsublueraider

I've got five adults and two kids sailing with a guy we've had a great experience with in the past. Can't wait! but we're having some sticker shock on some of the transportation opens we're being told about. Some of the quotes are $250-300 round trip just for transportation. That seems wild to me. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or could you give an anticipation on what just a regular ole' taxi would cost to Red Hook? 

Taxi fares went up considerably late 2022. Where will you be docking? From Havensight to Red Hook I think it's now $15 per person each way, and there isn't usually a child's rate.

If you google you should be able to find the official current taxi rate sheet.

Edited by Ms411

On 3/29/2023 at 3:05 PM, Ms411 said:

Taxi fares went up considerably late 2022. Where will you be docking? From Havensight to Red Hook I think it's now $15 per person each way, and there isn't usually a child's rate.

Thanks. We did that same journey a few years back and I was shocked at how expensive everything is now. The darn transport back and forth to the excursion may cost more than the actual excursion. 

There is one boating excursion that leaves closer to the cruise docks. I posted the link in a previous thread a while back so let me see if I can find it again so you can see if that works better for you.

On 3/29/2023 at 3:05 PM, Ms411 said:

Now it's sounding like we're going from Crown Bay and it's $21 per person... that's nearly $300 round trip JUST for an 8 mile taxi ride. Honestly... i've traveled a ton and I've never seen the transportation cost this high. I can rent a car for cheaper than that... and I might. 

19 hours ago, Ms411 said:

Fury Charters sails from the marina close to Havensight Dock.

https://usvisailing.com/day-sails/

Thanks for this, but we really want to sail with Ryan again. We've done it before and it's an amazing experience. It's just this taxi/transfer that is a huge pill to swallow. 

Renting a vehicle might be a good idea. Many car rental agencies will deliver a vehicle to your location, but it may be a challenge to rent one in advance depending on demand. See if there's a rental agency on google maps that's close to the dock.

9 hours ago, Ms411 said:

Renting a vehicle might be a good idea. Many car rental agencies will deliver a vehicle to your location, but it may be a challenge to rent one in advance depending on demand. See if there's a rental agency on google maps that's close to the dock.

I tried one adjacent to dock and they said they didn’t have any cars. Find that hard to believe a month out. Could get one from airport but would only save about $75 for the trouble. 

thanks for the input 

Which car rental? Yes, it is common for certain rentals to run out of cars, but many new agencies have started up during the past year. The high taxi fares have increased the demand for rentals.

But, it sometimes takes persistence to find one for just one day. I saved a car rental list that was posted on another site if you'd like me to post it.

On 4/5/2023 at 3:47 AM, Ms411 said:

Which car rental? Yes, it is common for certain rentals to run out of cars, but many new agencies have started up during the past year. The high taxi fares have increased the demand for rentals.

But, it sometimes takes persistence to find one for just one day. I saved a car rental list that was posted on another site if you'd like me to post it.

It was Dexter rental car. I had a feeling it may be that they don't want to let one loose for one day. I really can't believe I'm going to pay $250 for a round trip of 16 miles. But what are you going to do? Stay on the ship? It's a shame really.