Canopy River Zipline in Puerto Vallarta

LAX-HKG

Hi there,

Long time lurker and first time poster.

Considering booking a zip lining excursion with Canopy River independently.  Has anyone here had any experience with this company?  Safe? Reliable?  Getting cruisers back to the ship on time?  How long does it take to go back to the cruise terminal from the actual zipline park?

https://canopyriver.com/en/activities/zipline/

TIA for your input.

15 hours ago, LAX-HKG said:

Hi there,

Long time lurker and first time poster.

Considering booking a zip lining excursion with Canopy River independently.  Has anyone here had any experience with this company?  Safe? Reliable?  Getting cruisers back to the ship on time?  How long does it take to go back to the cruise terminal from the actual zipline park?

https://canopyriver.com/en/activities/zipline/

TIA for your input.

Absolutely safe and reliable company. They also do a lot of charity for the community. The place is awesome in the middle of nature and maybe you can walk the long hanging bridge (against a fee). Also their restaurant is in a nice place. 

Edited by Ine

• 2 weeks later...

Just to report back my experience with this company.

We booked online directly with the company. It was a package of ziplines, mule ride, suspension bridge, tequila tasting, and infinity pool.

It started out well, even after taking almost an hour on the back of a bumpy truck. The guides were friendly, professional, and helpful. The ziplines were fun and felt safe. Even the mule rides were enjoyable, despite the fact that no instructions were given on how to ride one and the trail was steep and narrow.

The experience turned bad for us after the mule ride was over.

My original plan after the ziplines was to eat at the restaurant, had a tequila tasting, walked the suspension bridge, then enjoyed the infinity pool before taking a shuttle back to our cruise. (All of these were sold to us as a package.) We took the 11am tour, so after the mule ride we got back to the reception area/restaurant around 1:15. We were then told that the infinity pool was “reserved” and would require extra charge for usage. Tequila tasting was available but only at 2pm. At the same time a person was going around checking on visitors’ shuttle time, the only times available to go back to the cruise was at either 1:20, 2:20 or 4:20. Interestingly the “hourly” shuttle that was promised does not offer one at 3:20.

So I felt like this company is running a scheme on us. After the ziplines (with a few uphill hikes), we would be hungry (and we were) but would have no other option but to eat there. (A 1:20pm shuttle would be very rushed and left us hungry for an hour going back.) The restaurant servers were slow to take orders and even slower to deliver the drinks and the food. (Drinks did not arrive until around 1:40pm.) Since we were on a cruise ship and could not afford to take a chance of missing the ship we would have to take the 2:20 shuttle. This way they made more money off us at the restaurant, but spared the cost of extra maintenance because we wouldn’t have time to tour the suspension bridge or to use the infinity pool. In the event that we brought our own food and wanted to eat by the pool, the pool would be “reserved” and would require extra charge.

A person in a teal colored shirt, whom seems to be in charge, gave me an indifferent attitude when I inquired, and expressed my displeasure, of the shuttle time. I am guessing I wasn’t the first one with that complaint. Another person who was “in charge” of the restaurant also came to talk to me, but was only offering access to the pool for a “discount” for the “misunderstanding”.

My recommendation is definitely choose another ziplines company if you are on a cruise.

10 hours ago, LAX-HKG said:

Just to report back my experience with this company.

We booked online directly with the company. It was a package of ziplines, mule ride, suspension bridge, tequila tasting, and infinity pool.

It started out well, even after taking almost an hour on the back of a bumpy truck. The guides were friendly, professional, and helpful. The ziplines were fun and felt safe. Even the mule rides were enjoyable, despite the fact that no instructions were given on how to ride one and the trail was steep and narrow.

The experience turned bad for us after the mule ride was over.

My original plan after the ziplines was to eat at the restaurant, had a tequila tasting, walked the suspension bridge, then enjoyed the infinity pool before taking a shuttle back to our cruise. (All of these were sold to us as a package.) We took the 11am tour, so after the mule ride we got back to the reception area/restaurant around 1:15. We were then told that the infinity pool was “reserved” and would require extra charge for usage. Tequila tasting was available but only at 2pm. At the same time a person was going around checking on visitors’ shuttle time, the only times available to go back to the cruise was at either 1:20, 2:20 or 4:20. Interestingly the “hourly” shuttle that was promised does not offer one at 3:20.

So I felt like this company is running a scheme on us. After the ziplines (with a few uphill hikes), we would be hungry (and we were) but would have no other option but to eat there. (A 1:20pm shuttle would be very rushed and left us hungry for an hour going back.) The restaurant servers were slow to take orders and even slower to deliver the drinks and the food. (Drinks did not arrive until around 1:40pm.) Since we were on a cruise ship and could not afford to take a chance of missing the ship we would have to take the 2:20 shuttle. This way they made more money off us at the restaurant, but spared the cost of extra maintenance because we wouldn’t have time to tour the suspension bridge or to use the infinity pool. In the event that we brought our own food and wanted to eat by the pool, the pool would be “reserved” and would require extra charge.

A person in a teal colored shirt, whom seems to be in charge, gave me an indifferent attitude when I inquired, and expressed my displeasure, of the shuttle time. I am guessing I wasn’t the first one with that complaint. Another person who was “in charge” of the restaurant also came to talk to me, but was only offering access to the pool for a “discount” for the “misunderstanding”.

My recommendation is definitely choose another ziplines company if you are on a cruise.

I am sorry to read this. Indeed it does not sound the way it should have been. Was it very busy at the time of your visit?  We always had pleasant times at Canopy river. 

Edited by Ine

17 hours ago, Ine said:

I am sorry to read this. Indeed it does not sound the way it should have been. Was it very busy at the time of your visit?  We always had pleasant times at Canopy river. 

It didn’t seem to me that it was very busy.  We enjoyed the ziplines portion of the excursion.  It was the scheming afterwards that really turned me off.  Make money off me by doing a good job at tequila tasting and convinced me to buy a bottle.  Or show me how great the photos are.  Don’t bait and switch.