Food memories

froggie Q

I have many wonderful food memories from land vacations - potstickers at the Cliff House in San Francisco, doner kabobs in Australia, fish and chips in a pub in Edinburgh. I'm sure the location and the fact that I'm on vacation enhances the taste some! I'm usually not very adventurous in my selections from a menu but I'd like to try some new foods on my upcoming cruise so I'll have more "food memories". (I'd like to try fried plantains - sounds interesting.) So I'm asking you to share your favorite food memories (even if it's on the ship) and maybe I'll get a chance to try them too!:)

And if you want to tell me what NOT to try, that's welcome as well!

Christine

• 2 weeks later...

Our biggest cruise food memory was experienced on a 7 day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Destiny.

On that cruisie non English speaking youth ages 4 to 6 form the island of departure of parents who could care less all cruise long ran up in the Lido Food Court grabbing handfuls of food out of the food containers. They than ran back to their parents table dropping the food as they ran and once at their parents table ate the food. When finished they ran back up to grab another handful of food from another food container.

Wonderful healthy food experience.

Cruise staff was totally frustrated as they had to constantly change out the food on the line that had been soiled by the kids sticking their hands into the food bowls.

Security and parents could care less and it went on the entire cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:D My favorite on the Dawn was Chicken Parmesan....IT was the best I have ever eaten anywhere....not just the usual fried chicken pattie, this was lightly breaded chicken breast and cooked to perfection......well I will get it again next year when I go back for sure.....

Also they had the best chocolate bread pudding we have ever had in the Garden Cafe', my hubby had 2 huge bowls of it and was sad that they only had it once !!! But I did get spoiled with the fresh waffles made right in front of me and served with fresh whipped cream and also strawberries or blueberries depending on the day....

• 3 weeks later...
I have many wonderful food memories from land vacations - potstickers at the Cliff House in San Francisco, doner kabobs in Australia, fish and chips in a pub in Edinburgh. I'm sure the location and the fact that I'm on vacation enhances the taste some! I'm usually not very adventurous in my selections from a menu but I'd like to try some new foods on my upcoming cruise so I'll have more "food memories". (I'd like to try fried plantains - sounds interesting.) So I'm asking you to share your favorite food memories (even if it's on the ship) and maybe I'll get a chance to try them too!:)

And if you want to tell me what NOT to try, that's welcome as well!

Christine

Christine!

I too have wonderful memories of food - it's one of the topics that always seems to come up when we remember our vacations. As an avid cook who has also been published, I always look forward to new adventures in food!

Anyway, there are so many wonderful foods I've experienced, I could never list just a few. However, when I saw your mention of Fried Plantains I had to respond. I had them a few years back on a Carnival cruise - ugh! Now, I know this, as everything, is just a matter of opinion, but oh boy where they awful. In fact, our entire table hated them. My dad is former military and could eat just about anything, as could my hubby and I, but these were really just inedible. They could have been prepared poorly, but either way, they were awful. I'm not trying to discourage you, in fact, I would suggest trying them - what do you have to lose. I just wouldn't get my hopes set too high!

Hope this helps - enjoy your quest for memorable food!

BTW...I too had the potstickers at Cliff House - yum, yum, yum!

• 2 weeks later...

Mary Ann - I did get to try the fried plantains, by accident. I never made it to any of the midnight buffets except for the very last one. I thought I was grabbing fried potatoes but it was plantains. They weren't awful but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat them. I can't say that I have any wonderful food memories from my cruise. I had good food but nothing that really stood out like the foods in my original post.

I've got to get back to the Cliff House and those potstickers someday!

My cousin-in-law has a thread here about the fish and chips on Carnival ships - they sound really good!

Christine

• 3 weeks later...

The first time I had plantains, I was in Tampa. They were great! No one has them on the menu in Colorado, so I make my own. You have to wait for the skin to turn black...then it is ripe. Don't peel it...slice it down the middle length wise. Score the fruit with a fork..spread it with butter and sprinkle it with brown sugar, heavily. Bake at 325 for 30-45 minutes. Eat it like a baked potato..right out of the skin. Cut like french fries and put in deep fryer? I don't think Id like those ether.

Archived