Medical insurance to cover what Medicaid doesn't while on an Alaskan cruise

mizannie

Hello. My child and I have been gifted a cruise to Alaska by a very generous family member. We are currently under Medicaid (MedicAID which is for low-income families, not to be confused with MedicARE which is for senior citizens).

Our cruise will visit California, Canada, and Alaska. Medicaid does not cover us while we are traveling out-of-state, and definitely does not cover us in Canada. I have been using insuremytrip.com and cannot seem to find a plan that will cover us in California and Alaska because it's our "home country".

Does anyone have experience with this? Ideally our travel medical insurance will cover medical evac, emergency medical care, and "adventure sports" as we may go kayaking and rappeling as shore excursions.

Please help!

18 minutes ago, mizannie said:

Hello. My child and I have been gifted a cruise to Alaska by a very generous family member. We are currently under Medicaid (MedicAID which is for low-income families, not to be confused with MedicARE which is for senior citizens).

Our cruise will visit California, Canada, and Alaska. Medicaid does not cover us while we are traveling out-of-state, and definitely does not cover us in Canada. I have been using insuremytrip.com and cannot seem to find a plan that will cover us in California and Alaska because it's our "home country".

Does anyone have experience with this? Ideally our travel medical insurance will cover medical evac, emergency medical care, and "adventure sports" as we may go kayaking and rappeling as shore excursions.

Please help!

Please contact www.TripInsuranceStore.com - but CALL them; don't just read the short policy summaries which cannot capture all of the fine print, etc.

I'm not aware of "home country" exclusions for the types of travel insurance we get, but insurance is regulated by the states, so it could be different between your state and ours.

However, the people at TIS will know the details; that's what they do!

And we hope that both of you enjoy your trip!

GC

• Thanks 2