Travel insurance

punkybett

23 minutes ago, punkybett said:

We'll be on Queen Victoria in September and I'm researching travel insurance. We don't need medical insurance, only trip cancellation and interruption. 

Does anyone have experience with Cunard Care insurance? 

All the advice I have read suggests going with a third party insurer. The link below is a good place to compare plans, a good number of which have cruise coverage included. Not sure if it's geared for travellers outside of the United States, however.

https://www.squaremouth.com

2 hours ago, punkybett said:

We'll be on Queen Victoria in September and I'm researching travel insurance. We don't need medical insurance, only trip cancellation and interruption. 

Does anyone have experience with Cunard Care insurance? 

No direct experience - Cunard Care is not available to New York [or Quebec] residents.

You may want to do some research down the page a bit at the https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/ forum.

There probably are some wrinkles in coverage details for Canadian residents.

You may want to see if a broker like the https://tripinsurancestore.com can sell to Canadian residents - or at least look at their FAQ section - you may find that some common sense terms do not mean what you think it should mean.

Another thing to think about is where your medical coverage is good. I don't know about Canada's system, but many people from the US are surprised to discover that Medicare stops at the border. 

Also, although it's a remote possibility, you could need help getting home. It could be as little as needing a whole row of seats to prop up a broken leg. After I saw that, I paid attention to that part of insurance coverage. After DH's fall and complications in England, our insurance flew us home air ambulance. That could have cost over $100,000 (US).

Thank you for the replies. We do have travel medical insurance from company benefits, but not cancellation or interruption. I discovered yesterday that my credit card does cover those as well as lost baggage, which was a surprise as I thought their coverage stopped at age 65.