Miami Gran Prix is Sunday May 7, plan ahead if driving down...

Just a reminder that the race is Sunday and to expect some additional challenges (road closures, heavy traffic volume, etc.) You might want to allow some extra time if sailing on Sunday.

I happened to be watching ESPN last night and saw the story being run (I had no idea the race was Sunday)...

Happy Sailing!

• Like 1

If it matters, the track is around the baseball stadium, west of downtown.  Some of it runs under a freeway pass.  

But I see that as lots of traffic between it and South Beach.  And it and the downtown luxury hotels.

Even without any interferrence from the Gran Prix, Sundays at Port of Miami are a disaster. 

On April 23, from entry to the port until arrival at Terminal A took 90 minutes.  Two other Sunday embarkations in February & March each took about 60 minutes of stop and go traffic through the port.

These were arrivals about 11:00am to 11:30am.

It looks like the race will be around the Hard Rock Stadium which is west and a bit north of the Port of Miami.  Florida's Turnpike will definitely be affected and I-95 could be impacted as well.  If it were me and I was coming in from Broward County (Hollywood/Ft. Lauderdale area), I'd probably take US-1 or A1A and enjoy the sights and sounds of that drive.  But, as stated, allow extra time.  The good news is you'll be traveling in the opposite direction as the race crowd Sunday Morning once you get directly east of the Hard Rock.   

Top left blue circle is the location of the Grand Prix.  The bottom right blue circle is the Port of Miami:

portofmiami.thumb.jpg.dc180f96dfe5e16ab0ba2f536b995d85.jpg