Viking - Lyon, Provence & The Rhineland new itinerary

MyDogRudy

I am looking for dailies from the new Viking itinerary of Lyon, Provence & The Rhineland, particularly how the transition from the Rhone River to the Rhine River is handled. I am assuming it is land transport from one ship to another ship? I am also interested in the port times for Avignon when taking the Avignon to Amsterdam route. I have been on the Viking Rhine Getaway in 2019 and will be going on the Viking Romantic Danube early this summer, but am trying to plan a Viking river cruise with friends new to river cruising for 2025 as part of a retirement/birthday splurge for several in the group. Since some of us are still going to be working, I am hoping if we take such a long (for us at this time) cruise we would not need to do add a pre-stay in Nice/Avignon to be able to enjoy the area, but I feel even though it lists an overnight in Avignon, you really only get the first afternoon to explore before heading out the next morning to Arles, which does not leave much time for any exploring if there are any travel issues, much less getting over any jet lag. We do not have unlimited funds to just travel Business class to rest on the plane or the time off to take extra days off when looking at this longer (for us) cruise. Any info from those of you fortunate enough to be taking this itinerary this year would be of great help to us as we start the fun of planning the next adventure. Happy cruising to all!

22 hours ago, MyDogRudy said:

I am looking for dailies from the new Viking itinerary of Lyon, Provence & The Rhineland, particularly how the transition from the Rhone River to the Rhine River is handled. I am assuming it is land transport from one ship to another ship?

I trust that people who have done this route will answer your request. To me it looks like two standard cruises joined together.

Your assumption is correct that it is a land transfer from Lyon to Basel, according to the Viking website which says connection is by motor coach via Beaune.

I'm puzzled tho' why they name only one boat.

• Like 1