Marina questions for a newbie

poinsettiaplate

I bring my e-reader or a book when I dine alone ALL THE TIME.  When I dine with my husband, sometimes we both do!  I don’t see any way that should bother anyone else.  

It’s a great way to enjoy a meal in any of the ship’s restaurants, IMO.  And an e-reader (to respond to someone’s question) has backlighting so if the venue is a bit dim, you can still read.

Enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I have done the last 3 cruises solo due to my sorority sister going through chemo and if I am not in a specialty restaurant where I ask for a sharing table I take my Nook with me to meals, all meals. Now if I end up sitting with someone else then I put it to the side and do not read. But why should I just sit and stare around at other people while I eat when I can escape to another world of my choosing. I would never have anything with sound and as stated before the backlight can let me read in low lighting but it does not bother others. I do not think this is rude. Rude would be doing it at a table full of other people. Julia

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, jwindham said:

I have done the last 3 cruises solo due to my sorority sister going through chemo and if I am not in a specialty restaurant where I ask for a sharing table I take my Nook with me to meals, all meals. Now if I end up sitting with someone else then I put it to the side and do not read. But why should I just sit and stare around at other people while I eat when I can escape to another world of my choosing. I would never have anything with sound and as stated before the backlight can let me read in low lighting but it does not bother others. I do not think this is rude. Rude would be doing it at a table full of other people. Julia

I don’t think any comments are directed at someone using this method. The person asking was wanting to know how many reading lights and batteries they should bring.  That would seem to be a bit different. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/29/2023 at 12:33 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

As long as you don’t “bogart” that table or add a sound track to your space, I see no problem with a single entertaining themselves. 
That said, the dining venues are not the local Starbucks coffee shop. And, most importantly, taking/making a cell phone call in any restaurant is the poster child for RUDE.

OP was talking about reading. Your post is rude

• Like 1