Endicott arm fjord and glacier explorer

Octavias

We are booked on the Celebrity edge in Alaska  next May and have booked an excursion called “Endicott arm Fjord and glacier explorer.  From the description, it’s a boat trip that picks us up directly from the cruise ship and takes us closer to points of interest.  Our schedule says we “get to Endicott arm Dawes glacier at 530am and our excursion is scheduled to start at 7am and lasts about 6 hours.  The ship schedule says it gets into Juneau the same day at 130pm.   Has anyone done this excursion in the past and or know how we end up reunited with the ship?  Do we just meet up in Juneau or does the boat take us back to the ship?  According to the schedule, we don’t leave Juneau until 10pm so I’d like to explore other excursion possibilities too. 

We have done this excursion off of the Celebrity Solstice in June 2022.  An Allen Marine vessel picked us up from the Solstice about 7 AM.  Essentially it was a tender operation but we didn't use the Solstice tenders.  The two level Allen Marine vessel was able to sail much closer to the glacier than the Solstice could.  We had an excellent naturalist on board who knew when to talk, and also when to be quiet and let folks take in the scenery and experience.  We took a different route back to Juneau than the Solstice, diverting into Fords' Terror (google it).  The Solstice was just completing their docking procedures in Juneau as the Allen Marine vessel approached the Solstice and we walked from the Allan Marine vessel onto the Solstice.  We were directly reunited with the Solstice.  It will be a long day, but you will be able to schedule another excursion/activity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2023 at 7:31 PM, Northern Aurora said:

We have done this excursion off of the Celebrity Solstice in June 2022.  An Allen Marine vessel picked us up from the Solstice about 7 AM.  Essentially it was a tender operation but we didn't use the Solstice tenders.  The two level Allen Marine vessel was able to sail much closer to the glacier than the Solstice could.  We had an excellent naturalist on board who knew when to talk, and also when to be quiet and let folks take in the scenery and experience.  We took a different route back to Juneau than the Solstice, diverting into Fords' Terror (google it).  The Solstice was just completing their docking procedures in Juneau as the Allen Marine vessel approached the Solstice and we walked from the Allan Marine vessel onto the Solstice.  We were directly reunited with the Solstice.  It will be a long day, but you will be able to schedule another excursion/activity.

We've booked this tour while on Royal next week (Endicott and Dawes).
Would you mind sharing more about the boarding and exiting process from/to the ship?
We have one person in our group with minimal mobility challenges.  Is boarding the excursion boat 'really' like boarding a tender?  And is exiting at the end on to the dock (vs back on to the ship) possible?
Thanks so much for your assistance!

My words "essentially it was a tender operation" was intended to compare departing the ship as a tender operation in that at the Solstice was not docked, and we stepped from the Solstice, while at sea and running very slowly, onto the Allen Marine vessel.  The Solstice was not docked but moving.  It was much easier than stepping on to a ship tender as the Allen Marine had a wide platform (with railings) between the Allen Marine vessel, which was basically right beside, and the Solstice.  And the Allen Marine vessel was much larger than a ship tender so there wasn't as much motion from the swells.  We used our sea pass cards to ring out.

As mentioned in my post we rejoined the Solstice just after it docked in Juneau. The Solstice had just finished their docking procedure when the Allen Marine vessel pulled aside.  Again the wide platform joined the Allen Marie vessel and the Solstice.  We walked across the bow of the Allen Marine vessel and directly onto the Solstice, and again used our sea pass cards to ring onto the ship.

Your companion with a minimal mobility challenge would not have had any issues with the process we experienced.  And it would not have been possible to exit at the end of the pier.

If you have any other questions I will be happy to respond.

Thank You! @Northern Aurora

Based on your earlier post, this is what I expected. Guess nervousness just wanted to see it spelled out - and I really appreciate you taking the time to do it (here & within the other topic)!

This is a first time out since dealing with the mobility challenges, so I'm trying to prepare by asking & looking ahead.

CC members like you are why it's such a successful site.

Thanks again!

10 minutes ago, Midwestern Cruiser said:

Thank You! @Northern Aurora

Based on your earlier post, this is what I expected. Guess nervousness just wanted to see it spelled out - and I really appreciate you taking the time to do it (here & within the other topic)!

This is a first time out since dealing with the mobility challenges, so I'm trying to prepare by asking & looking ahead.

CC members like you are why it's such a successful site.

Thanks again!

I am glad that you found my response.  I should have asked about the mobility challenge your person is experiencing.

My father had Parkinson's, and in the early stages of the disease he would have had no issues with moving from the large ship to the Allen Marine vessel.  He certainly could have handled it with a cane or walker.  A wheelchair -- no.  But the platform between the AM vessel and the larger ship is wide and has railings.  So if someone has a vision issue there are railings and no having to quickly step from the ship to  a tender during with swells.  

Every Allen Marin vessel we have been on through the years, even if they are more than one level, has restrooms on the lower level.

Hope you enjoy your trip to our state.  We think we live in a very special place.

9 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

I am glad that you found my response.  I should have asked about the mobility challenge your person is experiencing.

My father had Parkinson's, and in the early stages of the disease he would have had no issues with moving from the large ship to the Allen Marine vessel.  He certainly could have handled it with a cane or walker.  A wheelchair -- no.  But the platform between the AM vessel and the larger ship is wide and has railings.  So if someone has a vision issue there are railings and no having to quickly step from the ship to  a tender during with swells.  

Every Allen Marin vessel we have been on through the years, even if they are more than one level, has restrooms on the lower level.

Hope you enjoy your trip to our state.  We think we live in a very special place.

You DEFINITELY live in a special place!  And, if I didn't have kids and grands near me, I'd join you (at least in the southeast area).  This will be my 8th cruise and 9th visit.  Just can't get enough of the place.
The mobility issues are neuro muscular related.  Leg weakness, so walking for any distance is tough, but there are no other problems.  I think -- now that I've heard your description -- getting on and off of the smaller boat should be fine.  Nice to be less concerned.  Thank you!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Midwestern Cruiser said:

We've booked this tour while on Royal next week (Endicott and Dawes).
Would you mind sharing more about the boarding and exiting process from/to the ship?
We have one person in our group with minimal mobility challenges.  Is boarding the excursion boat 'really' like boarding a tender?  And is exiting at the end on to the dock (vs back on to the ship) possible?
Thanks so much for your assistance!

Not to scare you, but we were on the Solstice this past week, and the ship wasn't able to go to the Dawes glacier because there was so much ice in the water that had broken off from the glacier. I saw the small boat that picked up passengers from the Solstice, and I highly doubt it was able to go to the glacier. There was so much ice in the water, that even small boats had trouble navigating it. I heard the previous two Solstice trips the prior two weeks were able to make it, and didn't have ice trouble. It was a bummer to miss it, but the Endicott Arm is beautiful and was our consolation prize.

Mother nature rules all, so fingers crossed you will have better luck next week!

You didn't, @linksgolf -- I've been there enough to know -- but I'm sorry your tour was cancelled.

I've been incredibly fortunate on my trips there.  So far, only one port was skipped and only one bad day of weather (had sideways rain in Ketchikan in 2021).  That's in nine visits over 60 days.  Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good 😊

• 7 months later...

We are doing Alaska Inside Passage on Celebrity Edge in June…our first time in Alaska. We have excursions booked through Celebrity in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. Was planning to stay on the ship in Endicott Arm and Victoria. If we don’t do an excursion, will be still have some amazing views of Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier from the ship? Thanks if you can advise! 

• Like 1