Hi all we are hoping to book our first Ambassador cruise, after doing many with Marella, and would like to ask a couple of questions please. 

We are looking at cruises from Liverpool and would ask for any info on parking, we do like a more formal cruise and would ask how many formal nights they have PW. Sorry if this has been asked before but just looking for any info. 

Thanks in advance PC 😎

Sorry I can’t help with the questions about Liverpool (we’ve only sailed with Ambassador out of Tilbury so far) but regarding formal nights I hope I can make a useful contribution. We have so far done a 5-night cruise (1 formal night) and an 11-night cruise (2 formal nights). I’m not 100% sure but my take is that it is 1 formal night per week. On both cruises we have eaten in the MDR on formal nights where we estimate 85-90% will be in some kind of formal dress, but can’t speak about those that don’t want to participate. Having said that, based on observations of public areas (bars, theatre etc) we would say the majority of pax dress up (not necessarily black tie but certainly ‘dress to impress’). If you like Traditional Cruising I’d definitely recommend Ambassador.
Ironically we’re just about to book our first Marella cruise so might see you on the Marella boards with questions about cruising with them! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Martha1974 said:

Sorry I can’t help with the questions about Liverpool (we’ve only sailed with Ambassador out of Tilbury so far) but regarding formal nights I hope I can make a useful contribution. We have so far done a 5-night cruise (1 formal night) and an 11-night cruise (2 formal nights). I’m not 100% sure but my take is that it is 1 formal night per week. On both cruises we have eaten in the MDR on formal nights where we estimate 85-90% will be in some kind of formal dress, but can’t speak about those that don’t want to participate. Having said that, based on observations of public areas (bars, theatre etc) we would say the majority of pax dress up (not necessarily black tie but certainly ‘dress to impress’). If you like Traditional Cruising I’d definitely recommend Ambassador.
Ironically we’re just about to book our first Marella cruise so might see you on the Marella boards with questions about cruising with them! 

Thanks for your reply and info, most informative. The only reason we are moving from Marella is that we no longer wish to fly but after nearly sixty cruises with them we are a little apprehensive. 

I can help with any questions re Marella. 

Thanks 😎

• Like 1

Thank you - we’re considering Marella because friends want to cruise with them in the Med (they don’t want 1-2 sea days to get out of the UK before they get to the sun!) and we’ve always said we want to do a cruise together. Personally I’d be happy never to fly again! Why would you spend 2-3 hours in an airport when you could arrive at a port and be on the lido deck with a glass in your hand in 30 mins?? 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just got off the Ambition 2 week Iceland cruise.  There were two formal nights, and all others were casual.  On the formal nights, I would say long dresses and tuxes were represented but not standard.  Disappointingly, there weren't any of those formal portrait stations you get on other cruise ships.  I did hear that photographers at the captain's welcome party took full length photos, but I missed that.    

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2023 at 9:00 PM, Martha1974 said:

Thank you - we’re considering Marella because friends want to cruise with them in the Med (they don’t want 1-2 sea days to get out of the UK before they get to the sun!) and we’ve always said we want to do a cruise together. Personally I’d be happy never to fly again! Why would you spend 2-3 hours in an airport when you could arrive at a port and be on the lido deck with a glass in your hand in 30 mins?? 

because, for me, sitting on the lido deck (or anywhere else) with glass in hand offers zero value.  Touring holidays (cruise or land based) is 100% about the destination, and the less time that there is doing "nothing" the better.  If the choice is 2-3 hours at the airport or 4 days on a ship, the plane wins hands down.

10 hours ago, tim_london0 said:

because, for me, sitting on the lido deck (or anywhere else) with glass in hand offers zero value.  Touring holidays (cruise or land based) is 100% about the destination, and the less time that there is doing "nothing" the better.  If the choice is 2-3 hours at the airport or 4 days on a ship, the plane wins hands down.

I totally understand, we’ve all got different priorities… if I could I through an airport and be in my seat on the plane in 30 mins I’d fly too. For you the drink on the lido deck is wasted time, for me it’s being stuck in a departure lounge getting stressed and anxious when I could be relaxing and starting to enjoy my holiday instead. However, the chance to holiday with friends is enough of a motivation for me to go through with it. Wouldn’t do for us all to be the same 🙂

• Like 2