MSC newbie-Mediterranean questions and request for any MSC tips

RosieMac8

Hello.  DH and I are taking the dip into the MSC pool.  We have 30+ cruises under our belts and decided to try a MSC cruise this summer (~3 weeks away). After reading and watching various reviews, I am getting a little nervous.  Looking for you all to calm my nerves and give me guidance.

1.  We will be embarking on a ship that does multiple port embarkation.  Does this cause any delays getting off for shore excursions?  Are there separate gang areas for shore excursion versus debarkation?

2.  I read somewhere about getting a ticket the night before a port.  Is this for tendering or is there some other ticketing process going on?

3.  Multiple reviews have talked about either MSC being late to port or disembarking for the port excursions LATE.  One review talked about 2 hours late, others talked about 30 to 45 minutes.  Is this fairly common or rare occurrence?  How do you handle non-ship excursions with such delays?  We have some tours booked with www.SpainDayTours.com that we really hope to make but they are listed to start 30 minutes after stated ship docking times.

4.  I  have read about the Carousel shows and understand these are usually really good shows.  I have read there is a fee charge for these.  Can someone advise normal price 25 euros or 100 euros?  What can I expect?  

Thank you in advance and any suggestions you can give to make our trip special would be great.  We have never been to any of these ports and the planning of this trip has been challenging. Malaga, Lisbon, Alicante, Cadiz, Mahon, Olbia, Genoa, Marseille.

Lori

I remember the excitement! We were on a Med cruise last year departing from Napoli on the Seaview.  I would say some of the answers would depend on your ship and cabin type.

1. We were in Yacht Club and I didn't notice problems with people embarking and disembarking. We didn't do any excursions through the ship though.

2. None of our ports involved tenders (only similar ones we had are Genoa, Marseille, so not sure about the others)

3. I guess since we didn't have excursions through the ship, I didn't pay super close attention if we arrived late, just went with the flow.  However, we did have a private tour in Barcelona, which may also be part of the one that you booked through. They were pretty clear that they would meet after docking, so it wasn't dependent on a specific time. I would just make sure to keep your lines of communication open with them and they will know to adjust to your schedule and work with you.

4. I don't think Seaview had the Carousel shows, although I could be wrong because we didn't go to any shows.  I have seen people say those in the Caribbean are less than $20.

I would recommend that you pay close attention to the daily planners and the boarding times at ports listed on those and allow yourself plenty of time (I do an hour) to get back on board. Don't rely on the app. The only reason I say this is I saw a recent Vlog where a couple almost missed the ship because the app listed the wrong time and they cut it way to close.

Last tip - get the Focaccia in Genoa!! Best ever!! 

Thank you mnpurple.  I think I saw the same vlog.  I mentioned this issue to my husband so he is already on it.  We are staying pretty close to port except for the tours we have scheduled with www.SpainDayTours.   I have told my husband we need to try foods in the  different areas.  Looking forward to tapas in Malaga, and need to try some paella (I have never had this 😞 ) and will definitely put Focaccia in Genoa on the list.  So much to experience - so little time.  

Edited by RosieMac8
spelling

1 hour ago, RosieMac8 said:

.  I read somewhere about getting a ticket the night before a port.  Is this for tendering or is there some other ticketing process going on?

The ticket you might be referring to probably  pertains to an Excursion ticket. With MSC If you purchased an excursion through the ship the ticket for the tour is usually delivered to your room the night before the day of the excursion. That is usually when you find out the meeting time. Unlike some other lines that you have all the pre booked excursion tickets delivered on the first day with the meeting times included.  I like to plan ahead so when I am on an MSC ship I tend to go and ask the excursion desk a few days before if they could give me the meeting times & they are usually able to provide the information. 

Cruisernat-that makes sense.  Thank you.  I would have asked on the person's review but the review was from some time ago and I was thinking my question might get lost in the lapse of time.