Solo cruising

calvin81

I have reserved a fall 2024 cruise which will be my first Viking cruise and first solo cruise. My husband is no longer able to travel and is encouraging me to go, and check off this bucket list trip. I've only cruised on Oceania previously, but they only go to Asia in the winter, which is when we're enjoying Florida. Are there many solo cruisers? Oceania had group dining opportunities, where you could reserve with a random group to meet other cruisers. Is this available? We did a lot of private tours, matching up with others on roll calls here. I only looked at a couple roll calls, but didn't see this type of inquiry. Thanks for any answers.

I'll be traveling solo on Viking Neptune at the end of July.  I also hope Viking offers some get-togethers for solo travelers, as well as options for shared dining tables.  In my previous cruises (Seabourn, Silversea, Oceania), I've always found it easy to meet people and have as much company (or as little) as I desire.

I have been on several Viking cruises now and each time there was a singles get-together.  The cruise director also invited people with a specific interest to let him know.  I would speak with the cruise director ASAP.  He or she may have advice for you and may even arrange a special get-together, depending on level of interest.  

Speaking of which, I traveled on a land-based trip several years ago.  To make a long story short, a group of friends traveling together went out of their way to “adopt” an older, solo, gentleman for the duration of the trip.  It was a learning moment for me.  Since then, I have done the same — look for singles.  I was able to do so on a cruise when I was traveling with friends and came across a solo-traveler from Germany.  We basically “adopted” him and he and I remain friends to this day.  

Finally, you can always post something here, looking for singles or others who are comfortable with singles, for your specific cruise.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had a few solos on the world cruise.  As I remember, there was a get together for solo passengers, but we kind of adopted one if she happened to be going the same places we were.  I think most people on board incorporate solos along with them.  

• Like 1

I'm not a solo cruiser, but on the first day of our last cruise I went on a different excursion than my husband.  Lunch on the excursion was at a restaurant with a long table set up.  I sat down sort of in the middle and people started sitting at both ends away from me.  Then 2 couples came over and asked if I was alone.  We had a great time together.  Well, my husband caught COVID a few days later so I turned into a solo.  Those people from the first day excursion would talk to me whenever we met.  We ended up seeing each other at the World Cafe and move near each other so we could talk.  People can be so nice.

• Like 2

We were discussing the topic of solo travelers on the "Onboard Neptune now - British Isles Explorer" post I had started (pasted below). On our May 2023 BIE, Viking sponsored two events for solo travelers ("Solo Traveler Get Together") at 5:30 PM in the upper level of the Explorer's Lounge on Days 3 and 10 of cruise, which were listed in the Viking Daily.

Thank you for all the replies. I read the Neptune thread and was encouraged to read about the independent excursions people had arranged. I was leery of a "singles" get together as I had visions of a long ago cruise where this meeting was really for people looking to meet someone of the opposite sex, which I'm not. I'll need to look at the ports, but my family is suggesting it may not be safe to go exploring as a woman on my own. I hope to join people for dinner and learn about their travel experiences. With several overnights it will be helpful to hear suggestions of what to see the second day. 

2 minutes ago, calvin81 said:

Thank you for all the replies. I read the Neptune thread and was encouraged to read about the independent excursions people had arranged. I was leery of a "singles" get together as I had visions of a long ago cruise where this meeting was really for people looking to meet someone of the opposite sex, which I'm not. I'll need to look at the ports, but my family is suggesting it may not be safe to go exploring as a woman on my own. I hope to join people for dinner and learn about their travel experiences. With several overnights it will be helpful to hear suggestions of what to see the second day. 

With the typical demographics of most Viking ships (people in their 60s to 80s), Viking is about as far as you can get to a "party ship" and people trying to hook up.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, calvin81 said:

I'll need to look at the ports, but my family is suggesting it may not be safe to go exploring as a woman on my own.

This entirely depends on the town or city.  As a lifetime soloist, I know when to join a group or not.  There is nothing automatically dangerous about being a solo woman. 

• Like 1

I have traveled solo on Viking and I loved it. I enjoy jigsaw puzzles and met a lot of nice people at the puzzle table. I met some on excursions and some at events on the ship. I found the already exceptional crew to be even more exceptional when I was alone (I've been on four Viking cruises). I have a good friend I usually travel with, and have cruised with since my solo trip, but I am looking forward to going alone again. Enjoy!