Arctic Cruise with Aurora Expeditions?

We are planning a Svalbard cruise for July 2025 and we like the look of AE, would be either the Sylvia Earle or Greg Mortimer. We like the fact that these cruises are relatively small (~132 passengers), nice ships and also the Svalbard cruise seems longer than other companies. We looked at Silversea (~274 passengers and shorter cruise) and Hurtigruten (~318 passengers).

Has anyone experienced Aurora Expeditions and would you recommend for the Arctic?

11 hours ago, antarcticanewbies said:

We are planning a Svalbard cruise for July 2025 and we like the look of AE, would be either the Sylvia Earle or Greg Mortimer. We like the fact that these cruises are relatively small (~132 passengers), nice ships and also the Svalbard cruise seems longer than other companies. We looked at Silversea (~274 passengers and shorter cruise) and Hurtigruten (~318 passengers).

Has anyone experienced Aurora Expeditions and would you recommend for the Arctic?

@antarcticanewbies

Your new thread has been moved to a more correct forum where hopefully you will have replies.

Happy sails,

Host Kat

Hi @antarcticanewbies – I'm starting to research Svalbard cruises also.  I will take a look at Aurora Expeditions, but at the moment I'm leaning to Poseidon Expeditions.  They offer a 14-day cruise that goes up to the arctic ice edge and also east to Kvitøya Island.  Unlike Aurora they don't have the most modern ships, but their Sea Spirit is a classic 114-passenger ship [a sister ship to the 'Sky' ships that we have sailed on Noble Caledonia] – it is well designed for expedition cruising and has a classic nautical feel that you won't find on newer ships.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Hi @antarcticanewbies – I'm starting to research Svalbard cruises also.  I will take a look at Aurora Expeditions, but at the moment I'm leaning to Poseidon Expeditions.  They offer a 14-day cruise that goes up to the arctic ice edge and also east to Kvitøya Island.  Unlike Aurora they don't have the most modern ships, but their Sea Spirit is a classic 114-passenger ship [a sister ship to the 'Sky' ships that we have sailed on Noble Caledonia] – it is well designed for expedition cruising and has a classic nautical feel that you won't find on newer ships.

Thanks for this, not come across this cruise and looks like a great option to look at...

• 2 months later...

Has anyone on this site used Aurora Expeditions? I'm interested in a Svalbard & East Greenland combo itinerary and their newest ship Sylvia Earle has one named "Jewels of the Arctic". My concern is there are only 3 days in Svalbard. 

There's very little info about this company other than some reviews on a popular review site (don't know if I can name it)

My wife and I were on the inaugural cruise to the Antarctic for the Sylvia Earle back in December 2022.  She was a beautiful ship and very well designed for expedition cruising.  I was particularly impressed with the zodiac marina and how quickly the crew could get them into and out of the water.  

The expedition cruise team was professional, the ship was comfortable, and the food was good.  If you are looking for adventure and exploration you will be impressed with this ship.  If you are looking for fancy dining and entertainment then this is probably not for you.  

For me specifically, there is one aspect of the ship that sets it apart from all other small cruise ships.  I do get seasick and wear a patch on the cruise.   Between the X-bow and the ships stabilizers I found the vessel to be remarkably comfortable.  This is coming from someone who has now crossed the Drake Passage twice and rounded Cape Horn.  

sylvia_earle_cabin.JPG

• Like 2