Diamond Circle Excursion

dairyf

Do you mean Golden Circle? 

If so, it is designed for a wide range of ability but the better your ability to walk and climb steps, the more you will get to see up close. 

We are fairly mobile but low on stamina.  We did not find it demanding but we did not walk as far as others. Still, we did not feel as though we were missing out on things we thought were must see items because they were too far a walk.  There was enough to keep us busy and satisfied within our walking range.  

I looked up the Diamond Circle excursion.  While I have not take this excursion, I have done 2 land trips to Iceland.  The Dimmuborgir lava fields have a hard surface path you can follow (I’ll try to post pictures) although there was some up and down particularly at the start of the path.  IIRC at Dettifoss the walk from the parking lot to the falls was ~0.5 miles over a reasonably level path.  This is a very powerful waterfall so there is significant spray the closer you are to the falls which equates to a very wet walking path.  Husavik is a charming, level seaside town.  Perhaps you can get more details by contacting Viking directly.  Enjoy your trip.

IMG_1666.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Do you mean Golden Circle? 

If so, it is designed for a wide range of ability but the better your ability to walk and climb steps, the more you will get to see up close. 

We are fairly mobile but low on stamina.  We did not find it demanding but we did not walk as far as others. Still, we did not feel as though we were missing out on things we thought were must see items because they were too far a walk.  There was enough to keep us busy and satisfied within our walking range.  

The Golden Circle isn’t the same as the Diamond Circle. The latter encompasses sights near Akureyri in Northern Iceland, including Husavik, Dettifoss, and the volcanic area near Lake Myvatn. The term “Diamond Circle” is relatively new, intended to spark more interest in this part of Iceland (and perhaps to relieve stress on the well-traveled Golden Circle).

3 hours ago, SJD117 said:

The Golden Circle isn’t the same as the Diamond Circle. The latter encompasses sights near Akureyri in Northern Iceland, including Husavik, Dettifoss, and the volcanic area near Lake Myvatn. The term “Diamond Circle” is relatively new, intended to spark more interest in this part of Iceland (and perhaps to relieve stress on the well-traveled Golden Circle).

Thank you. I have learned something new today.🙂

Diamond Circle was not offered on our 2021 Iceland circumnavigation with Viking. We did Northern Iceland’s Natural Treasures, similar kinds of sites but heading off in a different direction.

• 9 months later...