Stuff to do in Cancun

JoetsCruiser

I'm going to Cancun in May - but not on a cruise. For a weeks long vacation. I've never been to Cancun before so I'm looking for some stuff to do while there. I'm going with some friends and we are all in our mid to late 20's. We like water skiing, jet skiing, and parasailing. Any recommendations that you can give on places to do those activities would be great. In addition I'd love to hear about some great restaurants/bars and beaches!

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

We're leaving for our annual fix of Cancun on April 21st. We'll be staying one night at Le Meridien and 7 nights at Park Royal Piramides. I'll let you know how well it's recovered when I get back.

As far as things to do - take a tour bus to Chichen Itza (Mayan Ruins) or at least take the local bus down to El Rey to see smaller, less impressive ruins. Go to X-Caret and stay for their night show or get all-inclusive meals at Xel Ha and tube down the lazy river. Take the bus to Puerto Juarez and get on the fast ferry to Isla Mujeres. Rent a golf cart there and drive to Garrafon Park. Take a jeep tour with Joe or take the local bus to the bus terminal downtown and board a bus to Playa del Carmen. Go with the activities director at your hotel to the clubs at 10 each night. If it's raining, see a movie in English at the Cinemark in La Isla Mall. Try some of the restaurants downtown and in hotel zone. Check out the Cancun forum on tripadvisor dot com to see everybody's favorites. Oh yeah, spend some time lying on the beach!

• 11 months later...

I just surprised my husband with a trip to Cancun for our anniversary.......... I booked into a resort called Omni Cancun Hotel.......but I have been reading these posts for awhile and haven't seen it mentioned. I actually have no clue where it is even!

The tour to the ruins is a must and the underground waterways sound awesome too........

Any hints from experienced Cancun travelers??? Anything would be appreciated!

Hey, Please post your review on Cancun when you return please. Going April of next year and worried it will not be recuilt by then, feel free to contact me also please, thanks.:eek:

Cancun is very much rebuilt. My last trip was this past October, 1 year after Hurricane Wilma. Had I not know a hurricane had blown through I'd be hard pressed to find evidence of it. Yes, some resorts are under construction and some store fronts boarded up, but on any given year in Cancun it looks like that. It is ever evolving.

I just surprised my husband with a trip to Cancun for our anniversary.......... I booked into a resort called Omni Cancun Hotel.......but I have been reading these posts for awhile and haven't seen it mentioned. I actually have no clue where it is even!

The tour to the ruins is a must and the underground waterways sound awesome too........

Any hints from experienced Cancun travelers??? Anything would be appreciated!

the Omni is on the long side of the "7" that makes up the hotel zone. It's been a while since I've eaten there (so long that it used to just be some tables under a tin roof on the beach), but Pina Colada's made a pretty good breakfast. Aside from that, I've not visited this resort, and only know that they offer both an AI and EP plan.

The resort is not near all the activity of Cacnun (shopping & clubs), but the bus stops right out from and makes everything very accessible. Across the street, Captains Cove, is a pretty good place to eat and also enjoy happy hour while watching the sun set. Map Chick offers a really good cancun map that is like having a mini tour book. It's VERY comprehensive.

I'm going to Cancun in May - but not on a cruise. For a weeks long vacation. I've never been to Cancun before so I'm looking for some stuff to do while there. I'm going with some friends and we are all in our mid to late 20's. We like water skiing, jet skiing, and parasailing. Any recommendations that you can give on places to do those activities would be great. In addition I'd love to hear about some great restaurants/bars and beaches!

Thanks in advance!

Didn't mean to ignore your question JoetsCruiser! it's been a while since I've been a 20-something, but here are some things that I think might fit the bill for you:

Joes Jeep Adventure - you drive the jeeps, you visit some small ruins in the hotel zone, a zoo, a cenote (I think), and the ziplines. It's not one price for everything, so do check out their website, and with a group, I would suggest booking the tour ahead of time directly through them.

I've never seen water skiing, Jet Skiis are available for rent, but be VERY CAREFUL because much like renting a car, there can be horror stories about whether you put a scratch on one of the jet skiis or if it was already there. Depending on where you are staying, your hotel might have bnegotiated rates with a marina or rental place.

Para Sailing. Just walk out to the beach. There will be folks there to take you for a ride. Or you can go through places like AquaTours for a tandem ride. Later in the week this gets quite popular and you may see more boats and able to negotiate your price.

Snorkeling, Cancun's not known for snorkeling, but you could take a day trip to isla mujeres, and snorkel at the el Garrafon Hotel. This is actually next door to El Garrafon a snorkeling attraction, which aslo has a zip line (the attraction not the hotel). There tends to be a spirited group at Isla, and hanging out a Playa Norte (umm really the only beach covered with tourists. Rent a golf cart to get around.

Now at night, venture down to the "the party zone". You'll know you are there when you start to hear the music and see all the lights. You can get off the bus at the Hard Rock and everything is within walking distance from there. Sr. Frogs is also a good place for a drink or 10, though I would avoide the slide.

If you are looking for lobster and lots of it, for about $35 on Driday, Saturday or Sunday (I think those are the days) try Lorito Joe's Lobster Lovers Special (formerly called Lobster buffet), it's a 4 course meal and you can keep on order lobster fixed any way you like and change the way you are having it as often as you'd like. surf & turf options are also included in this deal. There's always some sort of discount coupon in the cancun tips magazine that you get at the airport just after going through customs.

Some other places we like: Mr Papas, Casa de las margaritas, Johnny Rockets (sometimes ya just need a burger fries n milkshake). Captains Cove, Puerto Madero, La Disteleria (though I think I like casa tequila better now), Lorenzillos (this one is fading from my favorites list).

Hope that helps you some.

If you like tequila, try dinner at a little place called Casa Tequila. There's 100+ tequilas on their menu. The place next door, viva la vacca is also good for eats. La Ruina, across from the Rui Palace, is good if you're in the mood for a laid back dinner, sitting out on the sidewalk, they make good drinks and usually run a 2x1 special. Food is cheap and very good here.

Archived