Princess questions along with Caribbean Princess questions

yancycruiser

We have become cruise-aholics since our first cruise 30 years ago.   We are both in our early 80s and healthy so far.    Our last five cruise have been Royal Caribbean since we receive free perks.    We have been on 6 princess cruises with the last being six years.    We are strongly considering Caribbean Princess for our next cruise.   What are your thoughts on Princess versus Royal Caribbean?   We are also considering a good deal on a guaranteed cabin which we had nover done in the past.   Anyone have any bad experiences with Guaranteed cabins?   Looking forward to hearing from anyone.

Princess will be an older crowd compared to Royal Caribbean.  Games and activities will be similar.  I like Princess MDR food better, but it’s been a long time since I’ve sailed RC.  

We were on Caribbean Princess in March and were very satisfied with the condition and layout of the ship. Very friendly crew.  The ship is not designed to please active families with teens and young children: no water slides, no go karts, no rock climbing walls. I assume at 80+, this is not what you seek.

We have our first guarantee cabin coming up in September.  I think you have to believe that the cabin location you receive will be less desirable than one you might select yourself. That’s why the price is lower.  You will be further forward or aft, possibly under a nightclub or over a theater.  But we felt like Princess cruisers go to bed earlier than other lines we are familiar with so noise at night won’t be a big issue.

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 1

Music to may ears, BamaVol.  We definitely like the older crowd with less activites that most families and kid like.   Appreciate the detailed info.   I am just about sold on taking this cruise.  Thanks again.

By the way, are you the Bama or Vol fan.   Most of our family are Bama with my oldest daughter and her family being Auburn fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yancycruiser said:

Music to may ears, BamaVol.  We definitely like the older crowd with less activites that most families and kid like.   Appreciate the detailed info.   I am just about sold on taking this cruise.  Thanks again.

By the way, are you the Bama or Vol fan.   Most of our family are Bama with my oldest daughter and her family being Auburn fans.

I lived in East Tennessee for 10 years and became a Volunteer fan (despite having gone to Clemson).  Years later, I found myself with a job offer that I couldn’t turn down in East central Alabama.  I felt like a fish out of water for 7 years there. We returned to Tennessee but my daughter stayed and married a rabid Bama fan.  She’s partially converted and has two kids - one says Roll Tide, the other says Go Vols. Now, the family is split across Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Iowa and Oregon. I remain a Tennessee fan.

One Caribbean Princess feature I didn’t mention is the full promenade deck walking/jogging track. There are strategically placed benches and occasional deck chairs if you just want to sit.  We still aim for 10-12,000 steps a day, taken at a leisurely pace. Warning; it goes up and down stairs at the bow. The staircases are narrow and sometimes you have to wait for other walkers to complete the climb/descent but everyone is nice about it. I like that there are multiple places to sit and enjoy being at sea without sitting around the pool. She has several in addition to the track, including one specifically for wake watchers. 

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 1