Train from Venice to Ravenna for an anxious person!

Japsara

Hi all,

So I suffer with quite bad anxiety but am desperately hoping to go on a family cruise with my husband and parents at the beginning of September. I am finding it all a little overwhelming, and could do with some advice! We will be in Venice for 2 nights prior, so no rushing for trains to worry about!

My parents are taking a Celebrity bus from Venice to Ravenna as they are concerned about rail strikes and having to deal with their luggage, however for someone like me a 3hr bus journey is not ideal. I lived in London for years, so am much more at ease on trains. I think we will be looking at Venice to Ferrara, then Ferrara to Ravenna. Is this journey fairly simple? The switch at Ferrara with suitcases (x2) will be manageable (husband will be there with me)? Should I be concerned about strikes? 

Also, if Celebrity do not offer a shuttle from Ravenna rail station to the port, is it easy enough to get a taxi? How long does that journey roughly take?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get things clear in my head!

Thank you 🙂

• Like 1

You should be fine, with one caveat.  If you're looking at the 9:26 Frecce to Ferrara, note that Trenitalia automatically connects to the 10:40 regionale train to Ravenna.  That's a pretty tight connection (13 minutes), certainly do-able but might provoke your anxiety.

The good news is that there is another regionale train one hour later, and your ticket will be good on that train so don't worry about rushing from one train to the other.  

As to strikes, they are not common but they do happen.  More good news is that wildcat strikes are almost unheard of in Italy, strikes are announced at least three weeks in advance on a government web site, so you will have plenty of notice if you need to make other arrangements.

6 hours ago, Japsara said:

Also, if Celebrity do not offer a shuttle from Ravenna rail station to the port, is it easy enough to get a taxi? How long does that journey roughly take?

Celebrity has been offering a shuttle from the rail station to the ship, as far as I know. (I sailed on Celebrity from Ravenna last October). The pick-up place is not right in front of the rail station, but recent reports indicate that Celebrity has had someone in the station helping passengers locate the shuttle.

Unfortunately Ravenna is a small city and until recently only had a few taxis. I suspect that may be changing now that it has become the de facto embarkation for Celebrity and Royal Caribbean ships which previously used Venice. However, you can't count on them being available when you arrive.

The ride from the train station to the port takes about 20 minutes by bus or car.

Hi,

If you want to take the bus, then its the No.90. When you get to Ravenna FS you need to go outside the station and to your right you will see a building with START written on it which is the ticket office. Inside here is where you get your bus tickets. Last month they were 2 Euro's 10 Cents. I asked their staff about if I needed to pay extra for my suitcases but they said I would be OK. These were medium sized and there is not much room to store them on the bus. Not sure about bigger cases, you may have to pay a bit more if they take up room needed by passengers. The No.90 goes from just round the corner from the ticket office. There are not many seats on the bus either.  The journey takes just under 30 minutes and when you arrive at the "only" town near the port there is a longish road with a few stops on it including the Post Office - stay on the bus until the bus turns right at the end and get off there. You should now see the ship in the distance across the road and there is a sign saying "Cruise Ship". The walk is about 10 minutes and there is no shelter from the elements.

You may want to google the bus times as they were at 1035 and 1135 but then jump to sometime after 1pm for the next so are not regular.

Hope this helps.

Mick.

Here is the #90 schedule:  Ravenna_Linea_90.pdf (startromagna.it)

The stop nearest the cruise port is called Porto Corsini Via Sirotti (not listed on the schedule), as noted above this is just after the bus turns right from Via Po onto Via Sirotti.

If you make a google map of the following coordinates and go to street view, you'll see a crosswalk.  The bus stop is just past the crosswalk.

44.493565, 12.279939

Edited by euro cruiser

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2023 at 9:34 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Celebrity has been offering a shuttle from the rail station to the ship, as far as I know. (I sailed on Celebrity from Ravenna last October). The pick-up place is not right in front of the rail station, but recent reports indicate that Celebrity has had someone in the station helping passengers locate the shuttle.

Unfortunately Ravenna is a small city and until recently only had a few taxis. I suspect that may be changing now that it has become the de facto embarkation for Celebrity and Royal Caribbean ships which previously used Venice. However, you can't count on them being available when you arrive.

The ride from the train station to the port takes about 20 minutes by bus or car.

I am cruising with Royal Caribbean next May. So as of now, in your opinion, the best option is to take the bus from the train station to the port?

5 hours ago, jacksmycat said:

I am cruising with Royal Caribbean next May. So as of now, in your opinion, the best option is to take the bus from the train station to the port?

Well, I can't necessarily say what's "best", but I would say that taking the shuttle offered by the cruise line is probably the easiest and most dependable option at this point for those arriving at Ravenna train station looking to get to the cruise port.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well, I can't necessarily say what's "best", but I would say that taking the shuttle offered by the cruise line is probably the easiest and most dependable option at this point for those arriving at Ravenna train station looking to get to the cruise port.

Thanks! I didn't realize royal caribbean had a shuttle until after I asked this and then did a little more research through some other threads.