How are Venture Stabilizers after dry dock?

KathyL2537

I searched and haven’t seen anything posted about this since the dry dock in April. I assume the stabilizers are fixed and working and everyone’s now happy? I ask as we are approaching our “cancel without penalty” date for Antarctica in December and I am wary of crossing the Drake passage without them. Appreciate any info, as well as any tips for Seaborne’s Antarctic cruises.  TIA. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry I do not have the answer to your stabilizer question. I too am curious. Have you tried calling Seabourn?

Sidenote: On a recent Silversea trip we had dinner with the Captain and I asked him what he knew about the stabilizers.  He said the stabilizers fell off and they didn't know when or where. Aparently the mechanism which allows for cleaning and maintenance had issues. Supposedly the company who built the stabilizers assumed responsibility for the problem. True, who knows, but all sounded plausible to me. 

I was on the Antarctic Cruise last December that had all the problems.  The stabilizers did not fall off as they were working at 50% capacity.  Crossing the Drake is always going to be "iffy" even with stabilizers in 100% working order.  The crew is very good about watching the weather for crossing conditions and will try to work with that.  My advice - take seasick medication and try not to walk around too much.

15 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

I was on the Antarctic Cruise last December that had all the problems.  The stabilizers did not fall off as they were working at 50% capacity.  Crossing the Drake is always going to be "iffy" even with stabilizers in 100% working order.  The crew is very good about watching the weather for crossing conditions and will try to work with that.  My advice - take seasick medication and try not to walk around too much.

Thanks for the first hand info! Sounds like the Captain had some fun in the rumor mill.

Edited by highplanesdrifters