Roll Call - Freedom 1/28/07

gfromftlaud

Hey guys. My BF (Scott) and I (Rus) will be on this cruise also. We're going to be celbrating an 80th Birthday.. heh. He turns 30 and I turn 50. First Cruise, but looking forward to it. Lots of SUN, FUN and well.. other stuff that probablly shouldn't be said in here.. heh. But YOU all know!

Welcome to the Roll Call. My boyfriend Carlos and I will be celebrating our 3rd Anniversary during the cruise. Just watching the calendar countdown until then.

Heh. You could just edit your post, Jim! :D

Hey, also: if I remember correctly one of the stops on the cruise is to be St. Maarten. Anyone else concerned about that in light of recent events (two guys being severely gay-bashed there recently)?

No problem Jim...I have been called worse...much worse...LOL

Regarding St. Maarten, we are not too concerned as we have been there many times without incident. On the Atlantis Infinity cruise last month we had a great stay in St. Martin and were warmly welcomed everywhere we went.

I am, however, curious as to how the St. Maarten govt. reacts to the recent situation. I don't fear for my safety, but I also dont want to spend my gay dollars at a port that doesn't support gays....

just my "gay" two cents...

Gary

Hi Michael,

Yeah I know about editing the post but I messed things up. ;)

Yes, I've been reading about the bashing in St Martin on the other thread and a couple of other articles as well. My partner and I have been to St Martin many times on cruise ships going back to 1986. We've always rented a vehicle and explored the island on our own. Never had any problem with violence or insults but then again we are not feminine nor did we show public affection for each other so it was'nt obvious to the islanders that we are gay. Regardless of that everyone is different and no one should need to be someone who they are not just so they won't get bashed. Those guys just happened to be identified as gay by the wrong people. It is truely ashame and should never have happened:( . I have never thought the mentality of the people in St Martin was even close to that of Jamaica for example, where they hate us with a passion. I think that it was either Jamaicans who live there or the mentality of the people there is changing. Of course there is always a few from every ethnic group who are just bad people (even in the United States) and that could have been the case too. I think we just need to be careful when we are there, don't hang in isolated areas and perhaps hang in groups. I would like to see how things end up being handled though. It is something to be concerned about. I don't know whats been happening since our last visit but we will be very cautious and at the same time enjoy ourselves when we arrive on Freedom.

Jim :D

Hey Guys,

I saw some photos online from someone who was recently on the Freedom in Germany. They showed someone surfing on the wave runner. It was so cool in more ways than one. The guy was wearing a wetsuit. The promenade was beautiful much like Navigator. Rooms were nice too.

Jim

Hey Everyone,

Craig and Stu here from Ontario Canada..booked on Freedom and can't wait!...Our first Atlantis, and only second cruise (first on Navigator 2 weeks prior to this years gay cruise)

Looking forward to meeting lots of people!! :D

Wondering about the themed parties....when do they let you know what they will be?...or will it be basic white party, etc...

Hope to see some of you onboard!

Welcome Craig & Stu,

Atlantis will release a schedule with the themes a few weeks before the cruise. You'll see it on their website. Gay cruises are alot of fun for all. You should enjoy it.

Jim

They always have the White Party and always have the Dog Tag Tea Dance (military themed) from what I'm told. On our last cruise we had a 70's Disco Tea Dance (which I'm told is a usual theme as well).

We didn't get the information until just under two weeks before the cruise. Atlantis is quite slow in getting that information out and it's a common complaint with their cruises. People want a lot of time to get their costumes together.

Also remember, lots of people decorate their cabin doors.

Thanks for the replies guys...it is good to know that we can at least have some idea of what to expect!....

it sort of sucks that we are looking forward to something so far away!...I don't want to see the winter any time soon.

Again, thank you and if you think of anything to help us as first time Atlantis bois, we would appreciate it!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Freedom is supposed to be in New York this week. The Today Show is going to do a show from the ship. Perhaps it was this morning. It's edging ever so closer to its home and ours too. It's about a 12 minute drive from our place and not all that far from your place either Gary. Perhaps we should have an inagural bon voyage party at that park across from it on the Mc carther causeway:D lol. Hope you all are doing well in your hometowns. Michael your timeline is getting refreshingly shorter:) .

Take Care, Jim

Hey Guys,

Even though this cruise is approximately/exactly 8 months 1 week and 6 days away this sailing is almost sold out. I know it's awhile before departure but who else out there is joining us? :D

Jim

I thought it was completely sold out except for some "wait lists"? Though I don't know the difference between sold-out and wait list since at this point someone could still cancel even if they are in a sold-out category.

P.S. I was a little disappointed in the Today show on the Freedom. They didn't show much of the ship.

Hi Michael,

The last time I checked the Atlantis web site was a couple of days back and only one category was open. By now it's probably sold out. Once a category hits a sold out status they start taking requests for the waitlist for that category. I saw just a bit of the Today Show. It's a shame they did'nt show more. Perhaps they just wanted to let them show enough to bait people.

Jim

With just under 9 months to go, rest assured many wait list cabins will clear. On the MSN Atlantis page there were many who had to cancel Navigator in the last few months that even tried to resell on that site.

That's right LVMediaboy. Last year we were on the waitlist for a suite from March and got one in October. Our travel consultant called us with the news of a suite just at the right time. We live in Miami and just had Hurricane Wilma. It left us without power and a big mess and that call brightened things up. Atlantis gives us until Sept. to cancel without a penalty so many on the waitlist have their dreams come true after Sept. LOL :).

Yes! (Remember the song by Boy George!):

I am very psyched and awefully lucky to have gotten a cabin on Freedom in January. I booked in April - which was cutting it very close. I just checked and yes only Interior cabins are left available. The fog/haze has finally lifted from the Navigator Cruise at the end of January. Reminder guys those South Beach Hotels are just as booked as the Atlantis cabins for the pre-cruise. By the way, Yes, I already have my White Party and Masquerade Party outfits completed for Freedom -- now it is just the dress rehearshals! Arrrriivvvverrrddeeecccchhhi!:)

How do you get to the MSN Atlantis page. Is it through their web site?

Jim

Just do a search on the MSN groups page. Cruisecritic doesn't like posting URL's or "competing" website information here so I won't.

Yes Acquaboi you cut it close but you are prepared. We are too!!! In fact I think we'll go to the port and start the line tommorrow so we'll be first on the ship;) lllloooollll.

Another reason the South Beach Hotels are getting full is because of Winter party week around that time. Book early guys!!!

Thanks for the info Michael. You're right I should'nt be asking these things on the thread. Sorry cruisecritic, you remain the best!!! :D This is where I come for all my cruise info.

Jim

We're going to be staying in Ft. Lauderdale, on the beach, the weekend before the cruise. Cant' wait for that.

Circuit parties aren't our thing, so we won't be participating in any of the pre-cruise parties or anything. Not that there's anything wrong with that! :D

Archived