Vancouver Porter Tips

KillerSnake

I will fly into Vancouver International Airport and stay one night in a local hotel prior to my cruise departure from the Vancouver Cruise Terminal.

Should I tip bag porters / dock workers in CAD or USD? I will have both available.

53 minutes ago, KillerSnake said:

I will fly into Vancouver International Airport and stay one night in a local hotel prior to my cruise departure from the Vancouver Cruise Terminal.

Should I tip bag porters / dock workers in CAD or USD? I will have both available.

These workers live in Canada.  Use Canadian, but be aware of the exchange rate.  A $5.00 US tip is worth more than a $5.00 Canadian tip, so tip accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 4:40 PM, KillerSnake said:

Your call but we did not tip the dock workers.  Their unions and contracts provide a VERY livable wage.  At $5.00 a bag/person, imagine each one tipping when 1500 cruisers come through.  

3 hours ago, NWA395 said:

Your call but we did not tip the dock workers.  Their unions and contracts provide a VERY livable wage.  At $5.00 a bag/person, imagine each one tipping when 1500 cruisers come through.  

Define "VERY livable wage". 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, quack2 said:

Define "VERY livable wage". 

According to a current steavador (whom I have no reason to disbelieve) entry level is $23.06 per hour.  The five year average according to him is about $37.50 per hour and 10 year plus employees are averaging $51.00 to $55.00 per hour.

1 hour ago, NWA395 said:

According to a current steavador (whom I have no reason to disbelieve) entry level is $23.06 per hour.  The five year average according to him is about $37.50 per hour and 10 year plus employees are averaging $51.00 to $55.00 per hour.

People commenting on the adequacy of other working people's wages bothers me.  That's just me.

I have to assume that if you can afford to cruise, that you are/were VERY well paid and are in no need of any special treatment at the pier or on the ship.

Count your blessings and don't ***** about what working people make.

Edited by quack2

When your job is under union, the public knows what you make, or at least has an inkling.  When the union negotiates, they are usually trying to trying to incite "pity me" or "pity us" to get the public to sympathize with them.

• 1 month later...

Vancouver port is under ILWU (International Longshore and Warehouse Union), the same union operates in all North America west coast ports - LA / Long Beach, SF, Seattle, and others.

To say they have "very livable wage" is an UNDERSTATEMENT. You are probably looking at mid to high $100Ks annual salary plus sizable pension.

Any time we cruise I always tip the porter as I want to ensure my bag gets onto the cart and ultimately arrives in my cabin. Not necessary I know but for the sake of $5 or $10 it adds some peace of mind for me at least. Naturally a personal choice but after spending what we spend on a cruise I'd prefer not to take a chance......

Cheers,

Rob