Escape or Epic (solo)- opinions please!

kyo413

Seasoned (Platinum) cruiser - but first time sailing NCL as well as solo! Specifically chose NCL because of the rave reviews for solo experience. With that said, I am torn, and would love some input based on your experiences please.

I am going early January, currently booked on Escape. However, I keep second guessing myself with Epic for HALF the price for equally appealing ports- I have been to all on both itineraries, minus GSC. I have done my research- I know that it has a weird layout, the bathroom set up, older, etc. But it also seems to have plenty of qualities that do appeal to me. I have made a pros and cons list, and both are coming out evenly. But with not having experienced either, or anything NCL to compare it to, I am afraid to make the switch. 

What have you loved or hated about each? Is Escape worth 2x more in your opinion- why or why not? 

TIA

Have sailed both.  Getting ready to sail Epic again.  Sailed her the first, and only time, 10 years ago!  Loved her then.  Looking forward to sailing her again. 

Sailed Escape right before COVID shutdown.  Some similarities to EPIC.  Liked sailing her, too.  Be happy to sail her again.  But, no way for 2X the fare.

I like both.  Maybe if they were equal in price, I’d lean towards Escape because she was just refurbished…but not with a higher fare!

I prefer Escape as it has more things to do and more outdoor space for dining and drinks. However not if that comes at a X2 price.

I also love the Epic, so if you can have half the price for +- same itinerary, then I'd pick Epic easily.

I loved the Epic as a solo. The studio lounge set up was great, and the staff was great. The bathroom set up was fine for a solo cruiser and I didn't notice anything that screamed older. The one thing that I didn't like was the soot coming out from the smoke stack, but I just didn't sit towards the back then. 

It was honestly one of my favorite cruises! 

I have been on both ships many times. Both are great and terrific for solos.

Escape pluses for me are: The Waterfront, Ocean Blue, Choir of Man, Supper Club shows, three MDRs rather than two. Also, Sid Norman's, District Brewhouse, Food Republic, Pincho's. 

Epic pluses for me are: Current pricing, Beatles shows/Cavern Club, Burn the Floor. Shanghai's restaurant and noodle bar (both are complimentary).

I have cruises booked on both ships and will do so again! I hate giving up the Waterfront, but price wins when it is double. I will find a way to get my steps in and to look at the ocean now and then.

• Like 1

HALF the price is a strong argument for the EPIC 🙂

I've been on the EPIC in 2021 and I have mixed feelings about this ship.  It depends if the "ocean feeling" while cruising is important to you.

The Epic is very much built with an inside focus. There is no walk-around promenade deck. No front views like the Spinnaker Lounges on other ships. Everything in the public spaces inside is very dark and you barely get to see daylight or the ocean when inside. This is what I disliked most. So if these things are important to you and the price thing works out, then the other ship might be better.

See my review on the Epic here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2799317-worst-norwegian-ship/?do=findComment&comment=61942741

Edited by _Mr.G_