Shortened Glacier Bay Day due to medical emergency

PACD_JG

So on the Koningsdam today we did not do the 360 degree one hour viewing at Marjorie Glacier due to a medical emergency.  The ship got to the end so we could see it but quickly turned around.  We’re now stopped at Bartlett Cove where the rangers disembarked and one of the tenders was lowered with the patient, who was taken to Bartlett Cove (not sure why the NPS couldn’t do it).  Waiting for the tender to return.  Interesting.  Whales now would make it better though.  Hope whoever has good insurance.

• Like 4

Interesting. From what I recall the only medical services in Gustavas is a clinic staffed by a nurse practitioner.  Must be taking them to a med evac flight from Gustavas Airport to Anchorage.

They probably used the tender for ease of transferring the patient.  NPS is ladder down to the boat and from a post I saw today from a ranger in a Princess group, it was a rough transfer.

Here’s what I found in a Facebook post.  I won’t copy and paste since it’s from a private group that has the patient’s wife’s name on it.  

My husband was medically evacuated today from the Koningsdam.  Thanks everybody for your support.  He feels bad that your Glacier Day was spoiled.  He suffered a heart attack and we are currently in Anchorage.  I do have to say that the care he received and the support I got was incredible.  A special thank you to the cardiologist from New York who assisted.  I hope you all have a wonderful rest of your trip.

Edited by PACD_JG
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, mowogo said:

They probably used the tender for ease of transferring the patient.  NPS is ladder down to the boat and from a post I saw today from a ranger in a Princess group, it was a rough transfer.

Plus would not be room for a patient on stretcher and medical support personnel, especially if IV washing use.

We had something similar happen in May on the Nieuw Amsterdam, but we’d already spent the day in Glacier Bay. Glad this passenger was able to get the appropriate help, so good to know that’s the care passengers receive.