Transfer to port from Miami airport car hire drop off

katie64

Hi,

We are arriving to stay in Florida for a few days prior to the cruise so will pick up a hire car at Miami airport, drive to Bradenton, stay there fro a few days and then drive back (our hosts coming on cruise too). Plan is my husband drops 3 of us off at the port with luggage then heads to drop off car and gets a transfer/uber back. What is the most cost effective method (it will be November and heading on to the Equinox)?

thanks

Edited by katie64
spelling error

IMO the easiest and fastest way is to take a taxi.You can also Uber/Lyft and save a few dollars but there is usually a line of taxis available. 

Personally I would skip the drop at the port, drop the car off and get an Uber XL for the group and save the time going back and forth.It will be a good 50-60 minutes to drop the car, go to the taxi/ride share pickup spot and get back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSoxFan said:

Personally I would skip the drop at the port, drop the car off and get an Uber XL for the group and save the time going back and forth.It will be a good 50-60 minutes to drop the car, go to the taxi/ride share pickup spot and get back.

This is the best option. Depending on the drop off location and South Florida's temperamental traffic, having your husband go back and forth will waste a lot of time. Unless you have a ton of luggage, you should be able to manage sticking together.

1 hour ago, WhiteSoxFan said:

I believe taxi fares to the port from the airport are a fixed rate of $27.00.  After you drop your car you go up to the top level and that is where the taxi/rideshare pickup is.  Very easy.

No more fixed rate from airport to PortMiami. 

4 hours ago, katie64 said:

Hi,

We are arriving to stay in Florida for a few days prior to the cruise so will pick up a hire car at Miami airport, drive to Bradenton, stay there fro a few days and then drive back (our hosts coming on cruise too). Plan is my husband drops 3 of us off at the port with luggage then heads to drop off car and gets a transfer/uber back. What is the most cost effective method (it will be November and heading on to the Equinox)?

thanks

Did you check with the rental company and ask if you could drop the car at FLL airport location ?

Even if they charged a few bucks extra , it would be worth it. Fll is literally 5 minutes from port everglades. Cheaper and shorter cab ride for sure.

1 hour ago, horseymike said:

Did you check with the rental company and ask if you could drop the car at FLL airport location ?

Even if they charged a few bucks extra , it would be worth it. Fll is literally 5 minutes from port everglades. Cheaper and shorter cab ride for sure.

Ah! My bad. I assumed it was sailing out of Miami not Port Everglades.  If this is the case then absolutely return the car to FLL. Whatever extra they may charge will more that be made up by the extra cost and inconvenience of going from MIA to FLL The taxi/uber ride over from FLL is very short and very quick.

Yeah if you're sailing out of Port Everglades then that changes everything. Driving from Bradenton via I-75 gives you a much shorter and more direct route (via I-595, could not be simpler) to the FLL airport and then the port than you'd have to MIA. If your embarkation day is a weekday then you'll be sitting in terrible traffic trying to get to/from MIA from the north. Fort Lauderdale traffic isn't great, but it's much easier than Miami.

Ah fab thanks- we fly in and out of Miami so not much choice where we hire but definitely appreciate the guidance re just all heading to hire car drop off then to port. Hoping our friends who have lived in the  US for 20 years but regularly back in the UK can take over at this point!

(anyone coming to Scotland/UK  let me know and I can return the favour!)

3 hours ago, katie64 said:

Ah fab thanks- we fly in and out of Miami so not much choice where we hire but definitely appreciate the guidance re just all heading to hire car drop off then to port. Hoping our friends who have lived in the  US for 20 years but regularly back in the UK can take over at this point!

(anyone coming to Scotland/UK  let me know and I can return the favour!)

Hi Katie ,

May I inquire which equinox cruise you have booked ? Date specific please.

Yes of course- we are on the Sat 11 November Caribbean (and on that rollcall board too). I've cruised a reasonable amount but 10 years since I did the Caribbean with mum so all a distant memory (and now have a husband to bring) so looking forward to it!

1 hour ago, katie64 said:

Yes of course- we are on the Sat 11 November Caribbean (and on that rollcall board too). I've cruised a reasonable amount but 10 years since I did the Caribbean with mum so all a distant memory (and now have a husband to bring) so looking forward to it!

I hope you all have a great cruise Katie , My wife and I are going on the Equinox Nov. 30.

Try and have your rental car reservation organized in advance if you decide to Pick up in MIA and Drop off at FLL  (Fort Lauderdale ) . It will avoid confusion.