Recommendations for interesting/wonderful place to stay when sailing out of Dover---in a village/small town/not Dover

SLSD

Next summer, Mr. SLSD and I will be sailing out of the Port of Dover.  We are not interested in staying in Dover, but would rather stay in a village or small town within an easy distance.  We would be interested in a hotel in a large old home, or a country inn--something like that.   Extra points for being close to interesting things to see.  I seem to remember a discussion about this some months ago, but I'm not finding it in a search at the moment.  Was it Fletcher who suggested a place, or was it one of the others of you who lives in the U?.  I would appreciate some guidance---Thank you!

Deal would be the nearest "nice place", IMO, followed by Sandwich.  Canterbury would be an obvious suggestion.  If not staying in Dover itself, we usually look towards the northern coast of Kent - Whitstable & Herne Bay - but they may be getting a bit far away for you. 

Can't help with hotel suggestions as we usually look for budget friendly chain hotels, like Premier Inn, when we stay in that part of the world. 

• Like 1

We were there in April of this year and stayed in Deal, a small town about 30 minutes north of Dover on the coast. We stayed 2 nights pre-cruise at the Waterfront Hotel across from the beach. It’s an older hotel, friendly, reasonably priced, great breakfast included in the price. 
lots of nice walks and interesting streets behind the hotel with good shopping. 
Railway connections to Dover but a cab was faster and not expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Harters said:

Deal would be the nearest "nice place", IMO, followed by Sandwich.  Canterbury would be an obvious suggestion.  If not staying in Dover itself, we usually look towards the northern coast of Kent - Whitstable & Herne Bay - but they may be getting a bit far away for you. 

Can't help with hotel suggestions as we usually look for budget friendly chain hotels, like Premier Inn, when we stay in that part of the world. 

Thank you for your suggestions of towns, villages.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond.  

2 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Have a look at The Pig. A beautiful country house hotel in the middle of nowhere (but not far from Canterbury) with a lovely restaurant.

https://www.thepighotel.com

(There are a few of them around the country, the one you want is The Pig at Bridge Place.)

Thank you so much for this suggestion.  It is a good one.  Thank you for taking the time to suggest this. 

1 hour ago, LynnC28 said:

We were there in April of this year and stayed in Deal, a small town about 30 minutes north of Dover on the coast. We stayed 2 nights pre-cruise at the Waterfront Hotel across from the beach. It’s an older hotel, friendly, reasonably priced, great breakfast included in the price. 
lots of nice walks and interesting streets behind the hotel with good shopping. 
Railway connections to Dover but a cab was faster and not expensive.

Such a good suggestion.  I value hearing about your experience.  Thank you so much.  

Recommend Deal and Canterbury as mentioned.

Also, Broadstairs. Broadstairs' spectacular coastline has seven sandy beaches and bucket loads of seaside charm. There are fishermen’s cottages, clifftop walks and independent shops lining unspoilt streets. The town was Charles Dickens’ favourite holiday spot and his legacy includes Dickens House Museum. Eateries include smart restaurants, quaint cafés and 1950s ice cream parlours. Broadstairs offers seafront hotels with stunning views, boutique B&Bs and guest houses and quaint self catering properties.

16 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

The Pig at Bridge Place.

One of the great things about the Pigs are their restaurants. At several (possibly all), they have a "25 mile" menu. Yes, the food provenance is that local and seasonal. 

When we sailed out of Dover we stayed in Canterbury in The Lodge that is operated by the Cathedral on the Cathedral grounds. It was a wonderful experience. Our room was comfortable and overlooked the Cathedral. Magical. 

The day of the sailing we took a taxi to the pier. The driver acted as a tour guide, even showing us a few things as part of the fare paid earlier - including a stop at the top of the White Cliffs. Wish I could remember the name of the taxi company.